This course will teach you the language skills you will need to manage your career in Scotland or to apply for further study. You will develop general language skills for speaking, writing, listening and reading and work on your grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation. You will learn about the Scottish workplace and do a two-week work placement to improve your chances of changing your job and progressing in your career. In addition to ESOL, you will have the opportunity to improve your IT skills and study Business and Tourism. You will do a lot of learning in pairs and groups but will also be expected to work independently through self-directed study.
NQ ESOL for Work Level 5 course information
This course is bursary funded so you will not have to pay course fees and may be eligible for other bursary funding. You will be expected to buy the course materials as specified by your tutor (approximately £45). Please note these courses are for applicants whose first language is not English.
- English language skills of speaking listening reading and writing
- You will develop grammar at an upper intermediate level
- You will extend vocabulary at an upper intermediate level
- SQA units in Business, IT and Tourism (Level 5)
- Careers guidance
- Preparation for work SQA work experience unit (Level 4)
- Work placement
English Proficiency Requirements
- ESOL Intermediate 1/National 4 SQA or above or equivalent
How the course is assessed
- This is a bursary course, and you are expected to attend 100% of the course
- There will be regular assessment tasks throughout the course to monitor your progress, including National 5 coursework assessments, which test reading, writing, listening and speaking
- The Prelim exam in February will prepare you for the final exam in May
- You will also complete evidence in portfolio or presentation form for the Business Management course work and the Work Placement unit
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
Progression And Articulation Routes
- Progress to mainstream college courses at NC or HNC
- NQ English Plus Higher
- Self-employment or further training
Course Cost And Funding Options
Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...