Access to Engineering Systems NC is an entry level course designed to give you the first step towards a career in engineering. This is an Access to Higher Education course aimed at those who have been out of full-time education for at least three years or have left school with few or no qualifications. The course is designed to develop your knowledge and understanding of engineering principles and systems.
This is a full-time course taught at Edinburgh College’s Midlothian campus that leads directly to our Level 6 NC Engineering course. This course can also lead to further study of a variety of engineering courses at HNC/D and university degree level.
The course is taught by teachers with industry experience using the latest industry technologies. You will be taught between Edinburgh College classrooms and workshops where you will gain essential and hands-on experience of the engineering sector.
- Engineering Principles and Systems
- Engineering Fundamental Principles
- Mechanical and Electrical Disciplines
- No formal entry requirements
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- You will be assessed on each unit
- All units within the course must be achieved in order to gain the full award
Progression And Articulation Routes
- NC Engineering Systems at Level 6
- NC Engineering Practice
- Progression routes onto an SVQ2 courses
- Various technician roles within the engineering industry
- Machine operator
- A job within the maintenance industry
- Modern Apprenticeship in engineering
Course Cost And Funding Options
Heather Gerrard moved to Edinburgh last year to start an Oil & Gas Technical Apprentice Programme (OGTAP) apprenticeship with OPITO. Heather attends Edinburgh College as part of her apprenticeship. We caught up with her to find out how her experience was going so far:
‘I always had an interest in engineering and this programme provides a great opportunity to get into the industry as well as teaching me the practical and technical skills I needed for the job. The plan is to complete my HNC and become a fully qualified Instrument Technician and to make the most of any opportunities that come my way.’
Read more of our student stories here.
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...