S5 & S6 PUPILS
This course allows you to start your engineering degree whilst you are still at school.
The Academy is a joint project with Edinburgh College and Edinburgh Napier University and provides an opportunity to build knowledge and practical skills alongside academic study. There are multiple exit points from this course for young people who are interested in a career in Engineering.
You can choose from a range of pathways depending on your individual circumstances:
- Study HNC Engineering Systems over 2 years in S5 & S6
- Start the HNC in S6 and progress to College to complete HNC and HND Engineering Systems
- Apply to year 2 of BEng Energy and Environmental Engineering degree course at Edinburgh Napier University on successful completion of HNC at school or College
- Gain direct access to year 3 of BEng Energy and Environmental Engineering degree course at Edinburgh Napier University on successful completion of HND at college
- Progress to employment or further study
To discuss your options please e-mail Sharon.Pearson@edinburghcollege.ac.uk
- Materials Selection
- Principles of Engineering Systems
- Engineering Communications
- Dynamics in Measurement and Monitoring Systems
- Graded Unit 1
- Renewable energy Systems
- Applications of PLCs
- Placements are not applicable. There will be visits and seminars to attend during your studies
- Applicants should be working towards a minimum of 3 Highers (one of which will be science-based) along with Maths and English
- Highers must be achieved by the end of 6th year.
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
Progression And Articulation Routes
- HND Renewables at Edinburgh College
- BEng Energy and Environmental Engineering at Edinburgh Napier University
- Further studies at University
- Progression to MEng
- Energy generation systems
- Renewable systems and related fields of employment
- This will give the candidate an overview of Engineering Systems and will allow a choice to be either Mechanical, Electrical or Systems Engineering pathways.
- 6 hours per week: Tues & Thurs pm 1.30-4.00 pm