This course is aimed at apprentices employed within the automotive body repair industry.
This Vocational Related Qualification (VRQ) covers the technical side of basic body repair techniques and procedures. During this course you will learn essential skills and enhance your knowledge of the industry. You will learn about a wide range of vehicles found in all types of garages, dealerships and specialist body repair workshops.
The course is taught at Edinburgh College’s Sighthill campus in our workshops and lecture rooms by teachers with industry experience. Workshop learning will allow you to work on live vehicles to best simulate a realistic working environment. The workshops have all the necessary resources for you to fully engage in the motor vehicle industry.
This course runs as a block-release. Block-release will involve students studying for 8 one-week blocks throughout the academic year. You will spend the remainder of your time working at your employers gaining vital industry experience.
The SCQF 5 course involves studying both the theoretical and practical aspects of the industry, including:
- Removing and Fitting Permanent and Non-Permanent Fixed Body Panels and Components
- Repairs to Vehicle Body Panels
- Vehicle Body Metal Inert Gas (MIG) and Metal Active Gas (MAG) Welding Operations
- Resistance Spot Welding
- You will gain a broad knowledge and understanding of Health and Safety in the workplace and other skills associated with working in a garage environment.
- You must be on a Modern Apprenticeship Scheme
Entry qualifications are set by your employer but are generally:
- National 4 or above in English, Mathematics, Science or a Technical subject
- A consultation with the employer and Modern Apprenticeship advisor is essential
How the course is assessed
The assessment of this VRQ is made up of 3 components:
- The Institute of the Motor Industry (IMI) set practical tasks
- IMI set online testing
- IMI set written tasks
Progression And Articulation Routes
- Progression into IMI diploma in vehicle body repair and alignment principles (SCQF 6) taught at Edinburgh College
This course will allow you to progress to a higher level within your Modern Apprenticeship.
- Block-release - 8 one-week blocks throughout the academic year
Course Cost And Funding Options
Fee: £1036 Sighthill block-release (year 2)Fee: £1036 Sighthill block-release (year 1)
Hungarian-born 25-year-old Tibor moved to Edinburgh in 2011 to pursue his dream of working in the automotive industry. After studying a panel beating course at college in Hungary, Tibor later came to Edinburgh College to study.
Despite having limited English when he started his course, he achieved his Level 1, 2 and 3 Diploma and was voted Automotive Student of the Year at the college’s 2017 prize-giving awards. Tibor also won an award for Outstanding Student at the Institute of the Motor Industry’s annual Outstanding Achievers Awards 2017.
Studying at college helped Tibor to gain employment at Stagecoach Bus where he works as a mechanic. He also recently achieved his IMI Level 3 in Heavy Vehicle Repair and Maintenance through his work.
Read more of our student stories here.
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...