This full-time course will develop your skills and knowledge gained during the IMI Level 1 Diploma in Vehicle Accident Repair (Multi-Skilled) and use them to study technical subjects in paint preparation and refinishing at a higher level. The main areas you will study include Health and Safety, Filler Application, Metal Preparations, Minor Paint Repair Techniques and Working with Plastics.
The course is taught at the body repair workshop and classroom areas at Edinburgh College’s Sighthill campus. Workshop learning will allow you to work on live vehicles to best simulate a real working environment. The workshops have all the necessary resources for you to fully engage in the motor vehicle industry.
During this course, you will enhance your core skills which can be applied to everyday life and future employment in areas such as communication, numeracy, ICT, problem-solving and working with others. You will be assessed on your knowledge and skills. Upon completion of these assignments, you will submit them into your ePortfolio.
The course will ensure you are well prepared for employment in the automotive industry. This qualification is part of the knowledge component (technical certificate) of the IMI Modern Apprenticeship (MA) Framework. This means upon completion of this course you can apply for a Modern Apprentice.
Applicants with prior technical or knowledge experience in the industry may be considered for direct entry into the course.
- Health, Safety and Good Housekeeping in the Automotive Environment
- Support for Job Roles in the Automotive Work Environment
- Tools and Equipment Used in Vehicle Refinishing
- Applying Fillers and Foundation Materials
- Preparing Metal and Pre-Painted Surfaces
- Repairing Minor Paint Defects
- Working with Plastic Materials and Components
- IMI Level 1 Diploma (or equivalent) in Vehicle Accident Repair
- National 4 in Mathematics, English and a Science or Technical subject are recommended
- Extensive knowledge and experience in the industry
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- The Institute of the Motor Industry (IMI) set practical tasks
- IMI set online testing
- Submission of your ePortfolio
Progression And Articulation Routes
- IMI Level 1, 2 or 3 Award in Electric/Hybrid Vehicle System Repair and Maintenance
- Progression to employment and apprenticeship training
- Apply for apprentice technician vacancies
- Apply to the Modern Apprentice Scheme
Course Cost And Funding Options
Hungarian-born 25-year-old Tibor moved to Edinburgh in 2011 to pursue his dream of working in the automotive industry. After studying a panel beating course at college in Hungary, Tibor later came to Edinburgh College to study.
Despite having limited English when he started his course, he achieved his Level 1, 2 and 3 Diploma and was voted Automotive Student of the Year at the college’s 2017 prize-giving awards. Tibor also won an award for Outstanding Student at the Institute of the Motor Industry’s annual Outstanding Achievers Awards 2017.
Studying at college helped Tibor to gain employment at Stagecoach Bus where he works as a mechanic. He also recently achieved his IMI Level 3 in Heavy Vehicle Repair and Maintenance through his work.
Read more of our student stories here..
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...