Access to Engineering NC is a direct route to university. The course is designed to give you the first step towards a career in engineering. The content is mechanical engineering focused and will develop your knowledge and understanding of engineering principles and systems. This is a full-time course taught at Edinburgh College’s Midlothian campus that will lead to further study of a variety of engineering courses at HNC/D and university degree level.
You will study units such as Electrical Principles and Engineering Design which will enable you to progress to a career in a range of different engineering disciplines such as mechanical, electrical, civil and renewable energy.
The course is taught by teachers with industry experience using the latest industry technologies. You will be taught between Edinburgh College classrooms and workshops where you will gain essential and hands-on experience of the engineering sector.
Places on the course are very competitive and fill up quickly so if you are interested please apply as soon as possible to ensure you can be considered for a place.
This is a Scottish Wider Access Programme (SWAP) meaning if you have few or no formal qualifications and have been out of full-time education for at least three years (five years if studied Highers or a Higher National course or similar level) you can apply.
SWAP courses provide you with an alternative route into higher education. They are designed to give you intensive academic preparation as well as the opportunity to develop the skills and confidence you need for entry into higher education through recognised progression routes at colleges or universities in Scotland. For more information on SWAP courses please go to?www.scottishwideraccess.org and click on the SWAP East Portal.
- Electrical Principles
- Engineering Design
- Strength of Materials
- Computer Aided Design (CAD)
- Preparation for Higher Education
- Mathematics and Physics at a minimum of National 5
- If you haven't studied Mathematics or Physics for some time, then you might benefit from taking a preparatory unit before joining the course
- Adult returners without the Mathematics and Physics qualifications required are welcome to apply but you will need to offer alternative qualifications or prove a real desire to be on the course
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- Continual assessment throughout the year
- No end of year examination
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- You will attend an academic interview to ensure that this is an appropriate course for you and that you can handle the workload
- You may be asked to complete an entry level test which covers numeracy, literacy and comprehension
Progression And Articulation Routes
- Access to the first year of a university degree in mechanical, electrical, renewable, civil or structural engineering
- You can study a range of engineering courses at HNC/D and Associate Degree Level at Edinburgh College upon completion
This course will open career prospects in:
- Mechanical engineering
- Electrical engineering
- Renewable engineering
- Civil engineering
- Structural engineering
Course Cost And Funding Options
Heather Gerrard moved to Edinburgh last year to start an Oil & Gas Technical Apprentice Programme (OGTAP) apprenticeship with OPITO. Heather attends Edinburgh College as part of her apprenticeship. We caught up with her to find out how her experience was going so far:
‘I always had an interest in engineering and this programme provides a great opportunity to get into the industry as well as teaching me the practical and technical skills I needed for the job. The plan is to complete my HNC and become a fully qualified Instrument Technician and to make the most of any opportunities that come my way.’
Read more of our student stories here.
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...