This course is for pupils who are in their final years of high school. This course is intended to be studied alongside your high school subjects.
Accountants help individuals and organisations to keep track of their money and find new ways to grow their business and increase profitability. The Foundation Apprenticeship in Accountancy is a great way to get hands-on experience in this fast-paced and dynamic industry. You will have the unique chance to develop skills and knowledge across a range of accountancy topics as well as complete a valuable work placement with an employer. This course is an opportunity to gain an industry-recognised qualification and try out a career while you are still at school.
The Foundation Apprenticeship in Accountancy is a two-year course which is open to pupils entering their fifth year. You must have the ability to study at SCQF Level 6 (Higher equivalent) in an education setting and meet the entry requirements of the course.
- Prepare Management Accounting Information
- Prepare Financial Accounting Information
- Analyse Accounting Information
- Record Data in Ledger
- Professional Values for Accountancy
- Final Accounts Preparation
- Indirect Tax
- You will complete a valuable work placement in year two of the qualification and gain first-hand experience in the industry.
- Achieved or working towards Higher (A-C) in a relevant subject areas – e.g. English, Accountancy or Finance by the end of S6
- NPA Business with Information Technology
- The ability to work towards SCQF level 6 (Higher) qualifications
- Interested in or considering a career in the Business Sector
- Positive behaviour and school attendance report
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- You will be continually assessed throughout this course by both Edinburgh College lecturers and an employer at your work placement.
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- If your application is successful you will be invited for an interview at Edinburgh College to assess if this is the correct course for you
Progression And Articulation Routes
- Gain accelerated entry onto the Level 3 Modern Apprenticeship in Accounting
- Business HNC taught at Edinburgh College
- Business with Digital Marketing HNC taught at Edinburgh College
- Various jobs with an accountancy employer or in a related industry such as business and finance
- Year one – 2 afternoons per week
- Year two – 1 day per week work placement followed by 2 afternoons per week to complete assessments
An Edinburgh College Accounting student is hoping to calculate his way to award success as he goes up against fellow students at the Scottish Apprenticeship Awards 2018. Nineteen-year-old Junjie Xu, who studied a Financial Services Foundation Apprenticeship at Edinburgh College before progressing onto a HND Accounting course, has been shortlisted for Foundation Apprentice of the Year at the annual awards, for his achievements while studying at the College and working with the Financial Services team at Virgin Money.
Junjie, who is partially sighted, doesn’t let his visual impairment affect his learning or willingness to succeed and embarked upon his Foundation Apprenticeship while studying at the Royal Blind School for Visually Impaired and Blind Children. Junjie said:
“When I heard that I was a finalist, it felt great! All of the hard work that I put into achieving the award has paid off and I have overcome some difficult challenges.”
Read more of our student stories here.