This is a two-year full-time HND Legal Services course. This course will provide you with a basic understanding of Scots Law and legal procedures. The course is developed in line with current professional practice to ensure we provide you with the latest skills and knowledge. You will be encouraged to build your confidence levels developing competence in a variety of specialised legal areas which will be vital to your success in the industry. This course prepares you for further study of Scots law at a university.
Edinburgh College has excellent industry connections and you will have access to Edinburgh University’s court where you can gain hands-on and practical experience of the industry. The Law Society frequently does guest lectures and you will attend visits to the best in the legal business; gaining essential law connections for your future career.
This course will be delivered using a blended learning model. You will have in-class theory bases lessons with some classes being delivered online. You should have access to a PC, Desktop Computer or tablet.
- Law and the Communication Industries
- Scots Private Law
- Scottish Legal System
- Legal Research Techniques
- Commercial Law
- Scottish Criminal Law
- Legal Services Graded Unit 1
- Property Law
- Legal Services
- Communication: Business Communication
- Year one: Minimum of two Highers (Preference for those with English plus one other subject) at Grade C or above
- Year two: You must have passed all 15 credits at HNC level
- Successful personal statement
- Excellent English Language skills is essential
- If you do not have the formal qualifications asked for but you have relevant industry experience or other relevant qualifications may be considered
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- You will be continually assessed through written and practical assignments throughout the year.
Progression And Articulation Routes
- Various university Law degree course
- BA (Hons) Business and Management, year 3 entry at University of Highlands and Islands
- Employment in a legal or business environment
- Trainee paralegal
- Legal assistant
Course Cost And Funding Options
Scott came to College to change his career following an injury which prevented him from working in his previous role. Following three years of study, he graduated and was awarded the Chair’s Award for Academic Excellence in Tourism, Hospitality and Business, and has already started working as a HR Administrator for NHS Education. Scott says:
“Returning to education with three children and a mortgage seemed crazy yet, it was the best option I had. The best thing about studying at Edinburgh College was the culture and the people. The course and the teaching were centred on the students which made learning effective and enjoyable. It created a cohesive team-like environment in which I made many friends.”
Read more of our student stories here.
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...