THIS COURSE IS FOR S5 PUPILS WHO ARE STILL AT SCHOOL (2 Year Course)
The HNC in Police Studies is a unique course designed by experienced educators in partnership with the local Police. This course aims to give you an understanding of a professional policing environment as well as develop the skills required to operate in such a dynamic and changing sector. You will gain vital industry experience and attend guest lectures from police officers currently in the force.
This is a hands-on course that will equip you with the knowledge, skills and fitness levels required to submit a successful application to the Police Service or a similar public body or service industry. Upon completion you will be fully prepared to take the standard entrance tests for entry into Scottish Police Services. This course is an opportunity to gain an industry-recognised qualification and try out a career while you are still at school.
- Scottish Criminal Procedure
- Scottish Legal System
- IT in Business: Word Processing
- Spreadsheets and Databases: An Introduction
- Police Studies
- Creating a Culture of Customer Care
- Communication: Practical Skills
- You should be working towards a minimum of one Higher in a relevant subject area
There are a number of subject areas which would be considered relevant for entry to the HNC in Police Studies. These would include qualifications in:
- Scottish Legal System/General Legal Studies?
- First Aid/Fitness
- Modern Studies/ Contemporary social studies
- Information handling/information management
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- You will be continually assessed through submission of course materials, ongoing assessments and research tasks.
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- You will be required to attend an interview to assess if this is the correct course for you
- You must complete a fitness test in order to gain entry onto this course
- You will complete an entrance test where you will apply your knowledge to practical and real-life scenarios
Progression And Articulation Routes
- HNC Legal Services or Health & Fitness taught at Edinburgh College
- There is also the possibility of progressing to the BA Criminology & Policing at Edinburgh Napier University, or other Criminology courses available at the University of Stirling
- The knowledge and skills gained can be applied in a number of different enviroments : Police Officer, Armed Forces, Fire Services, Prision Services, Private Custodial Services;Private Security Firms, Social Services; Leisure: Youth and Community work and Voluntary work. The range of skills developed through the HNC Police studies, including research skills, will ensure that candidates can progress into higher levels of education with the underpinning learning capabilities in place.
- 2 afternoons per week: Tuesday & Thursday 1:30pm - 4.00pm for 2 years
- You will be required to commit to a friday afternoon to the course. Some of the fridays will be self directed study.