The HNC in Police Studies is a unique course designed by experienced educators in partnership with the local Police. This course aims to give you an understanding of a professional policing environment as well as develop the skills required to operate in such a dynamic and changing sector. You will gain vital industry experience and attend guest lectures from police officers currently in the force.
This is a hands-on course that will equip you with the knowledge, skills and fitness levels required to submit a successful application to the Police Service or a similar public body or service industry. Upon completion you will be fully prepared to take the standard entrance tests for entry into Scottish Police Services. This course is an opportunity to gain an industry-recognised qualification and try out a career while you are still at school.
- Scottish Criminal Law
- Scottish Legal System
- IT in Business: Word Processing
- Spreadsheets and Databases: An Introduction
- Police Studies
- Creating a Culture of Customer Care
- Communication: Practical Skills
- Exersice Principals and Practices
- 2 relevant Highers or
- relevant National 6 group award
- Relevant work experience will also be considered
- Applications will be assessed on an individual basis
There are a number of subject areas which would be considered relevant for entry to the HNC in Police Studies. These would include qualifications in:
- Scottish Legal System/General Legal Studies?
- First Aid/Fitness
- Modern Studies/ Contemporary social studies
- Information handling/information management
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- You will be continually assessed through submission of course materials, formative assessments and research tasks
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- You will complete an entrance test where you will apply your knowledge to practical and real-life scenarios
Progression And Articulation Routes
- BA Criminology & Policing at Edinburgh Napier University
- Other Criminology courses available at the University of Stirling
- Police officer
- Various jobs in the public service and public body sector
- 3 full days per week
- plus self directed study
Course Cost And Funding Options
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...