This one-year exciting course covers the skills required to enter and work in the Barbering industry. You will attend online theory classes to give you the knowledge to complete the written work and e-assessments required for the course. You will be required to have access to IT to enable you to complete this part of the course e.g. laptop, Pc, iPhone, Android phone. As you work within our professional salon environment and Academy you will gain essential practical experience working on clients and mannequin heads working with high-end product companies such as Wella, Blue Beard revenge and American Crew during practical sessions on paying clients to enhance your employability prospects further.
You will be provided with up to date training in new innovations and techniques with leading product manufacturers and barbers. Edinburgh College is recognised as a Centre of Excellence by Wella - one of only two Scottish colleges this professional recognition.
Training at Edinburgh College will enhance your employability prospects as we have an exceptional standard of facilities and highly qualified lecturers. This award is recognised within the industry as qualifying you as a barber. Upon completion, you can progress on to further study at a higher level in order to enhance your barbering skills even further.
- All theory will be delivered online - you will be required to have access to IT to enable you to complete this part of the course e.g. laptop, Pc, iPhone, Android phone
- There is an additional cost for –Uniforms & Kit must be purchased prior to course starting
If you are interested in being a model for our students or want to try out our star facilities before beginning your studying journey, simply book in for a treatment. Check out our price list here!
- Advise and Consult with Clients
- Shampoo and Condition Hair
- Dry and Finish Hair
- Cutting Hair and Facial Hair
- Create Basic Outlines
- All students at this level will take part in a work placement programme for two days per week (9 am - 4 pm)
- All applicants must be 16 years of age or older before the start date of the course and must hold
- a Level 1 Hairdressing qualification and Prep to level 2 Barbering course or
- Have a minimum of 4 passes at SCQF Level 4 and have a work placement within the Barbering industry
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- All practical assessments are carried out on paying clients within our salons.
- The theory aspects of the course are carried out online, completing open book assignments and invigilated closed book exams
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- All applicants will be asked to complete and submit a moodboard and a 500 word written brief in relation to your moodboard, along with a 300 word research task re a Barber that inspires you – these will be scored
- Successful applicants will then be invited to a formal telephone/ Microsoft Teams interview –where your moodboard and brief will be discussed along with other relevant questions relating to the course and your goals and experience
- Thereafter you will be given a date to attend campus to carry out your skills test
- The formal interview has a scoring criterion based on - communication skills at interview, along with the moodboard, written brief and skills test
Progression And Articulation Routes
- You will be qualified to work within the Barbering industry
- 3 days per week (9 am-4 pm)
- 1 evening per week (4:30 pm -8 pm)
- 2 days work placement per week
Course Cost And Funding Options
Our success stories speak for themselves. Our Barbering students take part in a variety of charitable events and regularly visit the Salvation Army Hostel in Edinburgh cutting and styling the hair and beards of the residents who are homeless.
Many competitions and event opportunities are available for our student to be involved with over their time at college eg the Association of Hairdressing and Therapists (AHT) National Competition, the British Barbering Association (BBA) student of the year and representing HABIA (the hairdressing national lead body) on stage at the Scottish Hair and Beauty Show.
Our Barbering students were involved in the collaboration with the Scottish National Portrait Gallery for their community outreach project ‘Razor’s Edge’. This was an amazing opportunity for our students
Over the years we have hosted the Great British Barber Bash with show-stopping workshops with some of the best barbers in the UK. We also have had the pleasure and honour of the UK leading Barber in Male Grooming Chris Foster as our patron for Barbering.
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...