This 18-week course is an exciting insight into the Beauty and Make-Up industry which is aimed at school leavers through to mature learners looking for a career change.
It introduces the skills you need for entry into the industry with practical and theoretical units covering - Day & Corrective techniques, Evening, Bridal, Fantasy and Art of Photographic Make Up along with the skin care and preparation required to produce a good make up application. You will also learn Eye Enhancements (tinting of the lash and brows, brow shaping, strip and cluster/party lash application and removal), Basic Manicure with Nail Art, Portfolio Presentation, Technical Competition Skills, and Skills for Customer Care.
If you are passionate about make-up and have a keen interest to learn some elements of Beauty then this is a great starting point. The course does contain theory which will include some aspects of Anatomy (skin & hair growth, bones of the skull), colour theory moodboards, contra-indications, product research, which includes developing your written and oral communication, portfolio building, research tasks and projects, therefore IT skills are essential as theory will be delivered and completed online via Moodle and Teams.
At Edinburgh College we pride ourselves on our students’ capabilities and achievements, and at the annual AHT Competition where we regularly win medals and trophies at both regional and national levels, the students’ passion and skills are the driving force. Learning at Edinburgh College will enhance your employability prospects due to the exceptional standard of facilities and highly qualified, experienced lecturers. You will study in our salons/studios providing a realistic industry environment where you will be working on clients (once you have improved your skills and confidence by working on each other/friends/family). This will provide you with valuable practical experience and is a stepping-stone towards a fulfilling career as a Beauty Make Up Consultant.
- All theory will be delivered online - you will be required to have access to IT to enable you to complete this part of the course e.g. laptop, Pc, iPhone, Android phone
- There are additional costs for make-up and beauty kits, uniforms, and books which must be ordered prior to starting the course. If you are entitled to bursary payments then this will cover these costs, but if you will be self-funding then payment arrangement will be made.
If you are interested in being a model for our students or want to try out our star facilities before beginning your studying journey, simply book in for a treatment. Check out our price list here!
- The Art of Photographic Make-Up
- Day Make-Up & Corrective Make-Up
- Bridal & Evening Make-Up
- Eyelash and Eyebrow Treatments
- Basic Manicure
- Nail Art
- Customer Care
- Hair, Beauty & Make-Up Competition Technical Skills
- Portfolio Presentation
- There is no work placement required for this course, however you will be working on clients in our realistic employability salons.
- This is a mandatory aspect of the course
- All applicants must be 16 years of age or older before the start date of the course and must hold :
- Minimum 2 passes at SCQF Level 5 (or equivalent) - preferably in English and Biology and pass the interview task
- Basic IT, ability to use MS Office, Word, compile and upload documents and graphics.
- Mature returners entry with successful interview and pass interview task
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- All applicants will be asked to create and submit a moodboard accompanied with a 500 word brief to describe the era and content for your mood – these tasks will be scored
- Successful applicants will thereafter be invited to a formal telephone/ Microsoft Teams interview –where your moodboard and task will be discussed along with other relevant questions relating to the course and your goals and experience
- The formal interview has a scoring criterion based on - presentation and communication skills.
Progression And Articulation Routes
- VTCT Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Beauty Make-Up
- Opportunity to work in department stores and makeup boutiques as a Beauty Consultant carrying out make up applications, retailing products, and offering skincare and makeup advice to customers as required
- Self Employment
- You will have knowledge in promoting and selling skills to help you achieve targets set out by employers in this fast-growing industry
- 3 days per week (9-4 pm), plus one evening (4:30-7:30pm)
Course Cost And Funding Options
Our success stories speak for themselves. We are proud winners year after year in varying competitions e.g. AHT, Wella Exposure - where hundreds of students from across the country compete in one of the industry’s top events. Along with this we have a successful collaboration with St Columba's Hospice where our students work as volunteers to provide holistic services
We hold established industry partnerships and continue to be a well-established and recognised college for the beauty and makeup industry.
Edinburgh College sweep up at national hair and beauty competition with a 15-medal haul - Edinburgh College
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...