THIS COURSE IS SPECIFICALLY FOR SENIOR PHASE SCHOOL PUPILS WHILE STILL AT SCHOOL.
This one-year exciting course is an introduction to a variety of the skills required for the Hairdressing and Beauty industry. By developing these skills you will have a greater insight to each discipline enabling you to progress into your chosen field within the Hairdressing and Beauty industry.
You will attend two afternoons per week building on your skills and knowledge gaining essential practical experience in our professional salon environment and academies with our high-end product companies and equipment. Alongside this you will also have the opportunity to work in our employability salons, which will enhance your employability prospects even further.
Working with your peers in the college environment gives you the opportunity to see the progression routes that are on offer within the two disciplines and the opportunity to gain feedback from the students that are currently on these programmes.
- All theory will be delivered online - you will be required to have access to IT to enable you to complete this part of the course e.g. laptop, Pc, iPhone, Android phone
- Schools must purchase a kit and uniform from the College for their pupils
- Shampoo and condition hair
- Blow dry hair
- Makeup application
- Hand and nail care
- Colour hair using temporary hair colour
- There is no work placement requirement for this course
- No formal entry requirements, however a selection process will occur during the application process
- Pupils must be in S4-S6 and have a passion for the industry and pass the application task
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- All practical aspects of the course are assessed on paying clients within our salons
- The theoretical aspects of the course are carried out under exam conditions completing open book assessments or e-assessment multiple choice questions
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- All applicants will be asked to complete and submit a moodboard and a 500 word written brief – these will be scored
- Successful applicants will be invited to a formal telephone/Microsoft Teams interview – where your moodboard and brief will be discussed along with other relevant questions relating to your goals
- Thereafter you will be given a date to attend campus for an information session and basic skills test
- The formal interview has a scoring criterion based on – communication skills at interview, along with the moodboard, written brief and skills test
Progression And Articulation Routes
- Level 1 Hairdressing
- Preparation to NC Level 5 Beauty Care & Make-Up
- Level 2 Beauty Make-Up Consultant
- NC Level 6 Beauty Therapy
- Opportunity to progress into further Hairdressing and/or Beauty Therapy courses
- 2 afternoons per week - Tuesday & Thursday
Our success stories speak for themselves. As well as becoming talented hairdressers in college, our students’ skills are put to the test in a variety of annual national competitions and events throughout their college year. E.g. Wella Exposure; the Association of Hairdressing and Therapists (AHT) and representing HABIA (the hairdressing national lead body) on stage at the Scottish Hair and Beauty Show. This provides our students with wonderful extracurricular opportunities, not only do they get to test their skills against other students from across the UK, they also network with likeminded individuals and make new friends for life.