This one-year exciting course covers the skills required to enter into the hairdressing industry.
Training at Edinburgh College will enhance your employability prospects as we have an exceptional standard of facilities and highly qualified lecturers. You will work in our salons or studios providing a realistic industry environment and gain essential practical experience working on paying clients with high-end product companies such as Wella. Edinburgh College is recognised as a Centre of Excellence by Wella; one of only two Scottish colleges with this professional recognition.
You will also attend online theory classes to give you the knowledge you need to complete the written work and e-assessments required for the course. You will be required to have access to IT to enable you to complete this part of the course e.g. laptop, Pc, iPhone, Android phone
This Level 2 qualification will allow you to enter the industry as a junior hairdresser or continue your studies to the next level to advance your hairdressing skills. You will be provided with up to date training in new innovations and techniques with leading product manufacturers and hairdressers.
- All theory will be delivered online - you will be required to have access to IT to enable you to complete this part of the course e.g. laptop, Pc, iPhone, Android phone
- There is an additional cost for –Uniforms & Kit must be purchased prior to course starting
- Students are also expected to bring in clients for practice and assessment purposes
If you are interested in being a model for our students or want to try out our star facilities before beginning your studying journey, simply book in for a treatment. Check out our price list here!
- Advising and Consulting with Clients
- Shampoo and Condition
- Hair Styling
- Hair Set and Dress
- Hair Plaits and Twists
- Cutting Hair
- Colouring Hair
- Team Work
- All applicants must be 16 years of age or older before the start date of the course and hold:
- a Level 1 Hairdressing and the Preparation to Level 2 Hairdressing qualification
- Or a minimum of two passes at SCQF Level 4 and are currently working as a junior in the Hairdressing industry
- Hold a Level 1 Hairdressing qualification and the Preparation to Level 2 Hairdressing qualification
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- All practical assessments are carried out on paying clients within our salons, working either independently with your own clients or working as a team member
- The theory aspects of the course are carried out online, you will complete open book assignments online within teams.
- E-assessmenst will be carried out on campus invigilated
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- All applicants will be asked to complete and submit a moodboard and a 500 word written brief in relation to your moodboard, along with a 300 word research task re a Hairdresser that inspires you – these will be scored
- Successful applicants will then be invited to a formal telephone/ Microsoft Teams interview –where your moodboard and brief will be discussed along with other relevant questions relating to the course and your goals and experience
- Thereafter you will be given a date to attend campus to carry out your skills test
- The formal interview has a scoring criterion based on - communication skills at interview, along with the moodboard, written brief and skills test
Progression And Articulation Routes
- Opportunity for employment within the Hairdressing industry at a junior level
- 3 days per week (9 am -4 pm)
- 1 evening per week (4:30 pm - 8 pm)
- 1 day work placement per week
Course Cost And Funding Options
Our success stories speak for themselves. As well as becoming talented hairdressers in college, our students’ skills are put to the test in a variety of annual national competitions and events throughout their college year. eg Wella Exposure; the Association of Hairdressing and Therapists (AHT) and representing HABIA (the hairdressing national lead body) on stage at the Scottish Hair and Beauty Show. This provides our students with wonderful extracurricular opportunities, not only do they get to test their skills against other students from across the UK, they also, network with like-minded individuals and make new friends for life.
Edinburgh College sweep up at national hair and beauty competition with a 15-medal haul - Edinburgh College
Edinburgh College hairdressing students style their way to national competition finals - Edinburgh College
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...