This course is designed to channel your passion and experience of working and volunteering in the community. NC Working with Communities will give you an industry-recognised qualification in community learning development and will improve both your professional and academic skills. During this course, you will study a range of subjects as well as complete a work placement. Edinburgh College has exceptional industry connections which can help you in securing a job in this rewarding industry. Upon completion of this course, you can progress into a variety of different community-related jobs or onto further study at Edinburgh College at HNC level.
- Youth Work
- Adult Education
- Rights and Responsibilities
- Principles of Community
- Learning and Development
- Equality and Diversity
- Planning a Residential
- Group Work
- You will complete a work placement lasting approximately 20 days (100 hours) in a community-based organisation
- You can use existing paid or voluntary work for your placement, or you will be supported by Edinburgh College staff in finding one
- 3 passes at SCQF Level 5 or an appropriate NC at Level 5
- Mature candidates with relevant life/work experience who don't necessarily have the relevant academic qualifications may also be considered
- All applicants will require an acceptable Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme record check
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- You will be continually assessed through a variety of methods including essays, reports, presentations, observation and group tasks.
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- Applicants will be invited for an informal interview to discuss their experience of working with community-based groups
Progression And Articulation Routes
- Working with Communities HNC
- Employment in youth or community work
- 3 in College 1 in placement
Course Cost And Funding Options
Thirty-four-year-old Thomas Hall tells us how his course has helped him to grow as a person and how he’s met people from all walks of life during his time studying at Edinburgh College.
“To date, I’ve had quite a varied career and lived in London before I moved to Edinburgh twelve years ago. Throughout my various job roles, I’ve always been passionate about helping people and have committed a lot of my time to running and supporting charity events.
I think it’s so important to study and do something you’re passionate about, and for me, that’s working with, and helping, people in the community. I initially studied an Introduction to Counselling before progressing onto NC Working with Communities course.
I’ve met people from all walks of life, both while attending College and during my placement. The curriculum covers a vast amount from helping people with substance abuse to events management – everything you need to work with the community. I’ve always cared for people and to be able to do it as a career is a dream. I was nervous about returning to education but since coming back to College I’ve really grown as a person. I’m hoping to progress onto the HNC course next year.”
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...