Music Business HND is designed to break you into the music industry and show you what it takes to be a success in this competitive industry. Push your creative potential as you gain real-life work experience and practical skills in the music sector. This is a unique course taught by highly qualified and experienced lecturers in Edinburgh College state-of-the-art facilities. These include a 100-seat auditorium, Mac labs and recording studios.
Explore your career possibilities as you work directly with industry professionals and start your own record label, sign bands, produce music and learn essential marketing and events skills. You will attend major music-industry networking events and local music festivals. These will give you essential industry connections and explore your career possibilities. You will collaborate with music and sound production students in order to learn all aspects of the industry and discover crucial skills in how to organise and create marketing campaigns; negotiate deals; create promotional materials; manage a tour. You will gain up to date and specialist knowledge of all major areas of the industry including live music events and touring; scouting for new music acts; managing artists’ careers; effective marketing of artists online as well as covering legal issues including contracts and copyright.
- Learn how to put on events and gigs
- Create your own record label
- Learn how to promote brands and artists
- Learn how to negotiate
- Learn about recording and live sound
- Learn about the key sectors of the music business including Live Music, Recording Labels and Music Publishing
- Learn about all the different roles in the music industry and what they involve
- Learn how to understand contracts
- Create digital marketing campaigns
- Work with artists in the college's CRE-8 studios
- Attend a variety of music networking events
- Learn how to create artwork and promotional material for a band/artist
- Learn how to organise and manage a tour
- Two highers or equivalent
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- Assessment is through projects coursework and some written tests
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- You may be invited to attend for interview
Progression And Articulation Routes
- Degree programmes in music business, commercial music, event management and marketing
Course Cost And Funding Options
Ruairidh Saunders started Edinburgh College after having a difficult time at high school. He studies for five years and complete his College education with a first-class honours degree. Ruairidh now travels the world as a musician on cruise ships. We caught up with him to get an insight into how Edinburgh College helped him achieve his dream:
“Studying at Edinburgh College gave me the confidence and courage to be ambitious with my musical goals and I am forever grateful to the staff for their knowledge and guidance.”
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...