THIS COURSE IS FOR S5 & S6 PUPILS WHO ARE STILL AT SCHOOL
This course will provide an introduction to working in the areas of the music business and sound production. Due to the closely linked nature of these two subjects and their ongoing economic growth in the creative industries, the course provides an excellent opportunity to gain a grounding in this area of employment by taking part in projects involving the creation and marketing of musical products.
You will learn both creative and technical processes in sound production including composition, MIDI sequencing, editing, arranging and mixing. In addition to this you will learn about a range of job roles and organisations in the music industry, methods for promotion and distribution, branding and marketing.
The course is taught by lecturers with years of experience working in the music industry at our sector-leading facilities at our Milton Road campus. These include 5 SSL studios and 4 TOFT studios, over 10 fully equipped rehearsal rooms and a 100+ seat auditorium.
Collaboration is at the core of the creative industries and our curriculum, and the structure of the course is mainly practical and project-based focusing on real industry examples and practices.
Completion of the course will lead to two NPA qualification at SQCF L6:
- NPA Music Business
- NPA Sound Production: Recording
- Creative Project
- Sound: Understanding the Signal Path
- Sound Engineering and Production
- Music: Promotion in Music Industry
- Music: An Introduction to the UK Music Industry
- Applicants should be studying at Higher level and have good writing skills
- A short written task will be required in support of the application
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
This is mainly a project based course, assessed through project and portfolio work. There are some written/theory based assessments.
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- Applicants will be required to attend course induction sessions and participate in a selection process. You will be notified in advance of the details.
Progression And Articulation Routes
- HND Sound Production
- HND Music Business
- HND Music
- 2 afternoons per week: Tuesday & Thursday 1:30 - 4pm