HND Sound Production is a technical and creative course designed to push your production potential and break you into the competitive music industry. This is a unique course that teaches the creative process of recording, production, mixing and mastering to the highest level. You will be encouraged to experiment and push the boundaries of your practice in order to gain a good understanding of both classical and contemporary music in order to prepare for a fulfilling career as a portfolio artist.
This course guarantees a hands-on learning experience like no other. Over the year you will receive 12 hours of one-to-one lessons and be taught by highly qualified and experienced lecturers in state-of the-art music facilities. These include; four flagship SSL AWS900+ studios driven by Pro Tools; a 100-seat auditorium containing a 14K Martin Audio PA system and MIDAS Pro1 live mixing console and over 70 iMac Digital Audio Workstations running Pro Tools, Logic Pro X and Ableton. Edinburgh College has industry connections with a wealth of exciting venues clubs and festivals across Scotland. You will attend major music-industry networking events and local music festivals where you will gain essential industry connections and explore your career possibilities. You will be encouraged to work with various artists and bands and attend guest lectures from the best in the business.
Should you decide to pursue your education further you can progress onto our BMus (Hons) one-year degree course accredited by Kingston University London taught at Edinburgh College. Edinburgh College is the only institution in Scotland offering a one-year Honours Degree top-up validated by Kingston University London.
Please make sure you read and complete the Pre-Interview Assignment that can be found under the Information on Tests/Auditions/Interview Requirements section. If for any reason you are not able to complete the assignment, please state this as part of your personal statement in your application.
- Multi-track recording and mixing
- Sound design, game audio and Foley
- Official AVID Certification in Pro Tools
- Sound for live events
- Creative Music Re-mixing
- Audio post-production
- Location recording (from rock to acoustic and orchestras to jazz ensembles)
- Two Highers (or equivalent) and core skills at SCQF Level 5.
- Direct entry to the second year is possible if you have successfully completed an HNC in Sound Production with 15 credits. You can apply by emailing CRI@edinburghcollege.ac.uk to register your interest.
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- Throughout the year you will be assessed through a mixture of practical and theory assessments
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
Please download the Pre-Interview Assignment pack linked below, follow the instructions contained within pack and upload the finished taskas part of your appliction.
HND Year 1 Sound Production Pre-Interview Assignment Pack
Progression And Articulation Routes
- Honours Degree courses at Edinburgh College (validated by Kingston University London)
- Edinburgh Napier University
- Perth UHI
- Glasgow Caledonian University
- Abertay University
- Studio engineer
- Sound designer for visual media/games
- Live sound engineer
- Audio visual technician
- Studio designer
Course Cost And Funding Options
“One of the finest music facilities in the country” – Christian Henson (Founding Director Spitfire Audio; composer Poirot, Inside No. 9, Trauma)
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...