The food and drinks industry is a robust sector with opportunities continuing to increase. This certificate is designed for those working as or looking to work as, a chef in this dynamic sector. This course would suit both school leavers and adults returning to education who are looking to retrain or upskill and are seeking a career in catering and hospitality.
You will be introduced to a variety of areas and simulate real-working and professional environments in Edinburgh College’s own restaurants and kitchens.
Discover and develop skills essential to the industry in communication and teamwork as you take a step closer towards your future career.
- Clinary skills
- To prepare and cook food by boiling, poaching, steaming, stewing, braising, baking, roasting, grilling, deep frying and shallow frying
- Food Safety
- Food Hygiene (REHIS)
- A range food and beverage service skills taught in a realistic working environment
- 2 hour bar licence training
Although there is not a mandatory work placement required for this course you are recommended to seek work experience within the catering and hospitality industry to support your studies. Your course tutor can assist you in finding suitable work experience.
- Minimum of two qualification passes at SCQF Level 3 or equivalent
- Recognition will also be given to those who have relevant work experience or have completed a related course at an introductory level
- Recognition will also be given to adult leaners wishing to retrain who have relevant life experiences.
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- A range of practical activities and assessments
- Short answer test papers
- Project work
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- You will be invited to attend an interview to assess if this is the correct course for you (Online in 2021)
- A face to face practical information session in June (Covid dependent)
Progression And Articulation Routes
- Level 2 Professional Cookery
- NPA Hospitality at SCQF 5 for those wishing to take a food and beverage service route.
- Commis Chef
- Kitchen Assistant
- Working in a range of food and beverage outlets in varied positions.
- 3 days per week (Maximum of 18 hours)
- Blended learning approach possible due to covid restrictions.
Course Cost And Funding Options
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...