The SVQ Level 3 in Hospitality Supervision and
Leadership is an industry recognised qualification designed
to give you the knowledge and skills required to be a
successful supervisor, team leader or manager in the hospitality
industry. This course is for those working in
hotels, restaurants, cafes, workplace canteens, residential
homes or any other outlets which involve the provision of
hospitality services to the public. You must be
supervising other staff as part of your job role to achieve this
The SVQ is aimed at people working in all sectors of the hospitality industry in roles such as team
leader, supervisor, assistant manager, trainee
manager, shift leader.
- This course requires you to complete 8 units. Five of these
are mandatory and you need to choose three others.
- The units are wide-ranging, and some are complex so check
them carefully before you choose
- The five mandatory units cover a basic range of
skills needed to be a successful junior manager or
- The three optional units you select should reflect the
specific tasks you carry out in your job role. For example HSL10 (Food
Service) should be chosen if you are a restaurant supervisor. HSL31 is an
excellent unit for supervisors who hold meetings with their staff.
- Your assessor and manager will go through the units with you
before you start to ensure you select appropriate units for your job role
- If you need any help or guidance with your course your
assessor is the person to ask as they have been specially trained to guide you
through your course and will be happy to help
- Entry is at the discretion of the centre
- This is a work-based qualification and you should be
working in a management role
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- You will be continually assessed through written and
practical assignments. There may be some observation but you
will also be given tasks or projects to complete some of the units.
Progression And Articulation Routes
- SVQ in Hospitality Supervision and Leadership as part of the
Level 3 Modern Apprenticeship in Hospitality
- SVQ 4 Hospitality Management Skills
- HNC Hospitality
- HND Hospitality Management
- Supervisory roles within the Hospitality Industry
- This course is usually done in your own workplace but
you may need to attend Edinburgh College one day a week
Course Cost And Funding Options
Fee: £796 Granton open-learning (year 1)
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...