The HNC in Retail is designed as a first step to preparing you for a managerial career in the retail industry or to help you onto further specialist study at university.
This course will give you what you need to be able to run and manage your own store or as part of a local or national retailer as a part of their management team. You will develop essential team-building skills which will enable you to effectively manage and coordinate in-store activities not only to achieve, but exceed company demands and show you at your best.
You will be taught by lecturers with many years of retail experience with a thorough knowledge of the day-to-day demands of working in and managing retail outlets. Whether you progress to further studies at a university or with an employer you will be well-grounded in the skills knowledge and attributes that are essential for a successful career in retail today. There will be opportunities for you to participate in a programme of visits and guest speakers giving you further insight into the industry.
- The subject areas you will cover within this course include -
- Consumer Behaviour and the Marketing Process
- Fashion Merchandising
- Digital Culture: Online Communication
- Organisations and Management
- Retail Law
- Retail Customer Experience
- Stock Presentation
- Managing an Event
- You will also have the opportunity to use these skills within the team's Retail shop based at Sighthill campus
- Although there is no mandatory work placement attached to this course you are recommended to seek work experience within the retail industry to support your studies. Your course tutor can assist you in finding suitable work experience.
A minimum 1 Higher at a grade C or above from the following:
- Modern Studies
- Religious Studies
- Social Science
- Business Management
- Plus 3 National 5`s or 3 Standard Grades at Grade 3 or above (two of which should be Maths and English) or satisfactory completion of appropriate SCQF 5 or 6 SQA course/units
- If you do not meet these criteria but have relevant work experience we welcome your application
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- Open book
- Closed book
- Port folios
- Practical observations
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- You will be invited into College for an information session and the opportunity to speak to one of the lecturing team on a one-to-one basis.
Progression And Articulation Routes
Heriot Watt University:
- B.A. (Hons) Fashion Womenswear
- B.A. (Hons) Fashion Marketing with Retail
- B.A. (Hons) Fashion Menswear
- B.A. (Hons) Fashion Communication
- B.A. (Hons) Fashion
University of Stirling:
- B.A./B.A. (Hons) Retail Marketing
- Employment opportunities - In-store operations merchandising and buying
- Employment in the retail industry at trainee supervisory or managerial level
- Progression to degree-level courses in Retail Management or Business Management
Course Cost And Funding Options
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...