This course is designed to enhance your knowledge of sports coaching and is a direct route into further study HNC/D level. Access to HND Coaching and Developing Sport is a yearlong and full-time course based around a National Progression Award (NPA). This course will develop your confidence and enhance your personal leadership and transferable skills; preparing you for further education and rewarding career in the sports and fitness industry.
There will be a considerable focus on practical participation in a range of sports and physical activities in order to enhance and compliment your existing performance and coaching abilities. This will be supported by a reasonably challenging level of classroom work in order to develop knowledge and understanding of the industry. To succeed in this course you should have a keen interest in sports, leading activities or coaching and be regularly participating in sports and physical activities.
- Introduce you to the concept of sports development
- Examine resources required for a specific project
- Gain both practical experience and theoretical knowledge across a number of indoor and outdoor sporting activities
- An understanding of how the body works and adapts to the effects of exercise
- The basic theory and application of sports coaching
- How to improve fitness
- Develop your communication and organisational skills
Opportunities may arise to work with local schools and community groups as your course progresses
- Three National 5s at C or above, preferably to include English and/or a Science subject
- National 4 Biology would also be an advantage and may be needed for progression
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
You will be continually assessed through a variety of methods including written assessments, logbooks, group exercises, projects, assignments and practical tasks and observations.
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- You will be invited to attend an interview where you will be expected to show your knowledge of and active participation in sport and fitness activities along with knowledge of the role of a sports coach/activity leader
- The interview session may include practical elements based on sports performance, problem solving, communication skills and written work based on your aims, objectives and knowledge of the subject area
- There will be a one to one discussion with a member of the sport and fitness team
Progression And Articulation Routes
- HNC/D in Fitness Health and Exercise taught at Edinburgh College
- SVQs in Sports Development
Although this course is primarily aimed at progression onto the HNC/D in Coaching and Developing Sport it may be possible to gain employment in positions such as:
- Sports leader
- Sports coach assistant
- Sports coach
- Gym/leisure assistant
Course Cost And Funding Options
Hundreds of Edinburgh College students gained insight into what it takes to make it in the Sport and Fitness industry as the College hosted its second annual Sport and Fitness Careers Day.
The event aims to provide students with the chance to learn more about the range of different career paths in the sector and to find out about potential volunteering options. Students from the Sport and Fitness curriculum area attended the event where they had the opportunity to take part in practical masterclasses organised by Hatton Boxing and Beach Body Live, listen to guest speakers, and hear advice from a range of organisations in attendance. Organisations with information stalls at the event included: Pure Gym, Edinburgh Leisure, Hibernian Community Foundation, Ricky Long Mastermind, Active Schools, Village Hotels, Hearts FC Community, Sheraton Hotel, Youth Football Scotland, Scottish Massage and more.
Sport student Molly Scrimger said:
“This is the first time I’ve attended the Sport and Fitness Careers Day and it was really useful. It was a good opportunity to get an insight and open your mind to the number of opportunities out there.”
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...