This innovative course is a steppingstone towards a rewarding career in the sport and fitness industry. Edinburgh College has vital industry connections and there will be opportunities to gain valuable experience working with local partner groups across a range of businesses. In addition to the group award, you can achieve qualifications at Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs) Level 2 or 3; offering direct employment opportunities.
This course is designed to develop your personal learning skills and ability to work independently. You will study topics such as anatomy and exercise physiology; teaching gym and exercise to music; current exercise trends; strength and conditioning; setting up your own business. The course will provide you with specialist links to National Occupational Standards (NOS) and related professional bodies. This course would suit school leavers or adults returning to education as well as those working in the leisure industry and looking to gain more formal qualifications or a career change.
- How to work with a range of groups in sport physical activity and health improvement settings
- How to develop your own practical skills and techniques in structured sessions
- How to plan, prepare and carry out fitness training programmes
- An understanding of sport and exercise nutrition
- Research and reporting skills
- Increasing your awareness of the interdisciplinary nature of fitness and health
- Developing your skills in exercise application and leadership and your understanding of the role and impact of fitness health and exercise in contemporary society
- Recognising and applying the need to involve participants fully in their own personal fitness and health improvement
- You can incorporate a Level 3 Personal training Award. Achieving this award will allow you to apply for REPs Level 3 accreditation
- Two Highers C or above (preferably English and one science)
- Core skills profile at SCQF Level 5 with communication or equivalent at SCQF Level 6
- Or two A levels at grade D and relevant GSCE equivalent core skills?
- A National Qualification at SCQF Level 6, S/NVQ level 3, or equivalent, in an appropriate subject area such as sports massage, exercise and fitness or sports development may be considered along with the appropriate core skills profile previously stated.
- If you don’t have the formal entry requirements but you are a mature returnee or one who wishes to change career or perhaps retrain following a career break to raise a family, you are welcome to apply
- In these or other cases we would consider work experience, life skills and potential ability
- You may be expected to submit a brief written assignment or essay before an?interview?to provide some indication of academic standing and communication skills
- You should currently be participating regularly in exercise and fitness activities
- You must be able to achieve a suitable level of clearance through the PVG scheme will be expected of all applicants
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
You will be continually assessed in both practical and theoretical settings. This will include class-based assessments, practical observations, report writing, presentations and assignment tasks
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- You will be invited to attend an interview where you will be expected to demonstrate your knowledge of and active participation in exercise and fitness
- The interview session will include practical elements based on current exercise themes and written work on your knowledge of exercise and fitness
- There will be a one to one discussion with a member of the sport and fitness team
Progression And Articulation Routes
- A range of degree level courses at universities across Scotland (entry point at year one or two) in relevant subject areas such as Sport and Exercise, Science Sports Studies, Physical Education or Physical Activity and Health-related studies
- Year two of BSc (Hons) Sports Studies at the?University of Stirling
- Year three of a range of BSc (Hons) sport and exercise science degrees at Edinburgh Napier University
BSc (Hons) Sport and Fitness, Year 3 at University of Highlands and Islands
BA (Hons) Sports Management, year 3 at University of Highlands and Islands
A wide scope of employment opportunities relating to fitness health and exercise could be accessed in establishments such as:
- Private health and fitness clubs
- Local authority sports centres and fitness clubs
- Hotels and conference centres with fitness facilities
- Sports clubs with a need for a fitness professional to support training
- You can start your own fitness health and exercise business
Course Cost And Funding Options
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...