This is a practical based full time (18wk) course designed to equip you for further study or employment.
It will help you to develop knowledge and skills in outdoor pursuits and provide a general understanding of the work environment in the outdoor pursuits industry. Ideal for those looking for a career in an exciting, varied and developing industry.
There are activity related residential opportunities and a work placement.
You will be required to contribute £100.00 at the start of the course for NGB registrations and memberships.
- Sport Leader (Lowland Walk Leader)
- CWI Training
- Fundamentals of Climbing 1 and 2
- Learn to Lead
- HSE First Aid at Work
- John Muir Leader
- Paddlesport Performance Start/Discover/Explore
- Foundation Safety and Rescue Training
- Go Mountain Bike Performance Awards
- Snowsports Training
- SQA Core Skills
- Leadership Theory Units
Although no formal qualifications are required. Evidence of participation and experience in at least two of the following Hillwalking, Mountain Biking, Paddlesports and Climbing are required. Experience in assisting/volunteering would be advantageous.
- You must be aged 18 years or over by October 2020.
- You must have an active interest and previous experience/regular participation in outdoor pursuits activities.
- Although not essential at the point of application, evidence of a suitable level of clearance through the PVG scheme will be an expectation of all applicants.
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- Governing Body assessment/ Internal College assessment
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
The interview session will consist of a presentation followed by a one to one interview with a member of the Adventure Studies team.
This may be achieved face to face or remotely through a medium such as Skype.
Progression And Articulation Routes
You may go directly into the world of work, progress onto specialist instructor training or continue with Edinburgh College on our Outdoor Pursuits and Adventure Leadership course.
Alternatively, if you have the relevant academic standing, you may progress onto:
- BA Hons Adventure Tourism Management (incorporating HND)
- BA Hons Adventure Performance and Coaching (incorporating HND)
- BA Hons Adventure Education
- Outdoor Centre Employment
Course Cost And Funding Options
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...