Access to Accounts
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 5
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
This course is designed to allow progression to HNC Accounting Next Generation. Although primarily intended to precede the HNC in Accounting, it also provides evidence of a level of competence and transferable skills to justify progression in related disciplines like Business.
The aim of the award is to
- Enable candidates to determine if they have an aptitude and interest in accounting
- Prepare candidates for entry into higher-level accounting qualifications, particularly HN Accounting
- Prepare candidates for entry into other non-accounting HN Group Awards such as AAT
- Provide candidates with specific accounting-related knowledge and practical skills useful to employers
- Respond to market demand for relevant skills development and qualifications at a non-advanced level in accounting
The course may be delivered using a blended learning model. This involves in-class lessons and some classes may be delivered online. You should have access to a PC, Desktop Computer or tablet.
What you will learn
A selection of topics such as:
- Recording Transactions in the Ledger
- Handling Wages and Salaries
- Financial Services: The Regulatory Framework
- Digital and Enterprise skills
Some of the subjects you will learn in more detail:
Preparing Management Accounting Information - meets the needs of users of accounting information such as managers of branches, departments or subsidiaries of larger organisations; it deals with data suited to making correct management decisions on a day-to-day, week-to-week or month-to-month basis.
IT Solutions for Administrators - apart from the specialist software referred to above, all kinds of accounting-related ad hoc jobs work will be done using spreadsheets, databases and word processing.
- No placement required
How the course is assessed
- Ongoing assessments throughout the course
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week
- Three relevant National 4s (or equivalent) including English and Maths; OR
- Any relevant National Qualifications Group Award at SCQF level 4 or 5 including Comms & Numeracy
- Candidates will be considered on an individual basis
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- You may be required to attend a group and/or individual interview and/or a skills check.
English Proficiency RequirementsMinimum IELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- HN Accounting Next Generation
- HN Finance
Roles involve analysing, interpreting, and reporting financial information, such as
- Forensic Accountant
- Chartered Accountant
- Retail Banker
- Tax Advisor
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Sighthill Campus||Full time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.