Access to Cyber Security, Software Development and Web (NPA and CISCO)
Milton Road Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 5
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Choose your study options
Course enquiry form
This course is an introduction to all the main areas of computing to build up your skills and help you find what you have a natural flair for and enjoy.
No matter where you choose to specialise in computing, the skills from this course are applicable to any job in the tech sector, as well as many other jobs in the world today because digital and technology skills are in high demand across all sectors.
The course covers Cyber Security essentials which we deliver as a CISCO certificate. For those not familiar with CISCO, it is the world's most prominent IT infrastructure brand and a household name to all tech companies globally, it is the Microsoft of infrastructure.
Alongside Cyber Security, you will learn basic Web development skills, Computer Networking skills and Software Development.
The underlying core of the whole course is Data Science. Data Science is the fastest-growing tech employment market, with demand outstripping the skills pipeline.
Data Science and data analysis skills are highly sought after in all employment sectors but especially in tech. The world is now heavily dependent on data for diagnosis, medicine, supporting communities, innovation, marketing and advertising and the list goes on. Any employer will be pleased to see such a qualification on a CV.
If you choose Cyber Security as your future route then you will be securing both physical infrastructure and WI-FI, which is where the Networking skills will come in. You will also be securing websites and apps from malicious attacks and malware, so knowing how to code is essential on both fronts and an appreciation for web development is a great addition that few people studying in this area have.
If you are choosing to go into Web and Software next, then you need to have an awareness of cyber security in order to build safe and secure websites and apps. It's a rare combination to have the networking knowledge to accompany these skills and to know how your websites are delivered to the end-user and the infrastructure that allows people internet access in their homes. This mix of skills makes you more employable and a greater asset to any business or your own business. Being your own tech support to keep you and your customers connected to the internet is invaluable and a competitive edge.
Working as part of any company in 2021 requires all employees to be cyber aware and actively fight the threats and so the course is ideal no matter what you choose to study next.
This course is designed to give you the foundation knowledge and the step up you need to start your degree route.</What you will learn
- Cyber Security (CISCO Certification)
- Computer Architecture
- Computer Networking
- Software Development
- Web Development
- Web Graphics and basic Digital media skills
- Data Science (NPA SQA qualification)
How the course is assessed
- Through practical assessments and some multiple-choice tests
Number of days per week
- Approximately 3 to 4 days per week, but students should allocate additional time for activities to be completed outside of class time. We recommend at least one extra day per week.
- 4 National 4, C grade passes or equivalent, preferably including Computing and maths.
- You will need to have the equivalent of national 4-level mathematics, if you don't have this formal qualification, this can be assessed from the screening activity at the interview.
- If you are not just leaving school you will need to sit a screening activity to assess your current knowledge level.
- This course can be accessed via progression from the successful completion of a relevant Edinburgh College course.
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- At the interview, you will be asked to take part in a Skills and Experience screening exercise online.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- NPA Cyber Security, Networking and Forensics
- NPA Software Development and Web
- NPA Software Development and Digital Design
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Granton Campus||Full time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
|Milton Road Campus||Full time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
|Sighthill Campus||Full time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
|Midlothian Campus||Full time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.