Access to HN Events and Hospitality
Campus Milton Road Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
Course overviewThis Level 6 course could be for you if you feel that you are not quite ready to study at HN level yet. The Access course will build on your existing qualifications and skills and support you in your transition from school or from a course at college to an HND in Events Management or Hospitality Management. There will be opportunities for you to participate in a programme of visits to hotels and other businesses operating within the events/hospitality industry as well as gaining a good understanding of this growing sector.
What you will learn
- Marketing in Travel and Tourism
- Skills for Customer Care
- Communication for working in Events
- Event organisation
- Food hygiene for the hospitality industry
- Researching and preparing presentations
- Understanding business
- Non-alcoholic beverages
- Hospitality: front office skills
- Research Skills for HN
- Financial and cost accounting
Placement informationAlthough there is no mandatory placement requirement for this course applicants are recommended to seek work experience within the hospitality or events industry to support their studies.
How the course is assessed
- Open book
- Closed book
- Practical observations
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week
- A minimum of 4 National 5`s - one to be English at Grade 3 or above, 3 passes at SCQF level 5 or satisfactory completion of an appropriate NC course
- If you are a mature student we will take account of previous skills and experience
- If you are a continuing student you should have passed all units on your previous level 5 course
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview RequirementsApplicants will be invited into College to attend information sessions - a task will be set and carried out during this time. There are opportunities for applicants to speak to the lecturing team during the information session on a one to one basis.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Progression to HND year 1 Events Management or Hospitality Management
Career optionsOpportunities within the hospitality and events sectors include - Events Assistant, Conference Assistant, Communications Assistant, Customer Service Advisor, Front of House and Reception
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Milton Road Campus||Full time||29/08/22||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.