Access to HNC Accounting (Next Generation)
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Full time
Duration 20 weeks
Course enquiry form
This course is designed to allow progression to HNC Accounting Next Generation. Although primarily intended to precede the HNC in Accounting, it also provides evidence of a level of competence and transferable skills to justify progression in related disciplines like Business.
The aim of the award is to
- Enable candidates to determine if they have an aptitude and interest in accounting
- Prepare candidates for entry into higher-level accounting qualifications, particularly HNC/HND Accounting
- Prepare candidates for entry into other non-accounting HN Group Awards such as AAT
- Provide candidates with specific accounting-related knowledge and practical skills useful to employers
- Respond to market demand for relevant skills development and qualifications at a non-advanced level in accounting
The course is delivered using a blended learning model, consisting of in-class and/or online delivery. You should have access to a PC, desktop computer or tablet. PCs are available in the college for student use.
Your employer may be entitled to funding for this course.
What you will learn
Some of the subjects you will learn are detailed below:
Preparing Financial Accounting Information - addresses the needs of users of financial information such as owners of and lenders to businesses or organisations; it deals with the financial structure and overall performance of what is being accounted for so that decisions concerning ownership or investment can be made on an accurately informed basis.
Consumer Protection Legislation in Scotland: An Introduction - an introduction to the current statutory provisions relating to consumer protection and appropriate remedies. In this Unit, candidates will explore the protections afforded to consumers in relation to buying goods, harmful products and consumer credit agreements.
Preparing Management Accounting Information - meets the needs of users of accounting information such as managers of branches, departments or subsidiaries of larger organisations; it deals with data suited to making correct management decisions on a day-to-day, week-to-week or month-to-month basis.
Analysing Accounting Information - allow learners to develop the knowledge and understanding of the interpretation and analysis of accounting information, and the ability to interpret and analyse such information using a range of routine and complex techniques.
IT Solutions for Administrators - apart from the specialist software referred to above, all kinds of accounting-related ad hoc jobs work will be done using spreadsheets, databases and word processing.
How the course is assessed
- Ongoing assessments throughout the course
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week
- A minimum of 4 passes National 5 at C or above including English/Communication and Maths/Numeracy at level 5 or equivalent
- Or successful completion of a relevant SCQF level 5 course
- Or successful completion of the current level 5 course
- Relevant work experience
- Applications will be assessed on an individual basis
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- HNC Accounting Next Generation
- HNC Finance
Accounting roles involve analysing, interpreting, and reporting financial information, such as
- Forensic Accountant
- Chartered Accountant
- Retail Banker
- Tax Advisor
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Sighthill Campus||Full time||23/01/23||20 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.