Applied Science Level 4
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 4
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
Applied Science Level 4 is designed to develop your knowledge and foundations of the science industry. You will learn essential skills needed to progress into employment in the science sector and the health industry or prepare you for further study in applied sciences.
This is a full-time course taught at Edinburgh College’s Sighthill campus. You will study a range of topics including Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics. Our Science department offers you the opportunity to study in purpose-built laboratories. These will support the development of your general and specialist practical skills whilst enhancing your theoretical understanding of science.
This course works as a stepping stone towards Applied Science Level 5, offered at Edinburgh College. This can lead to further study at Applied Science NC6 and HNC. Successful candidates can also progress on to appropriate health-related courses.
What you will learn
- Laboratory experience
How the course is assessed
- You will be assessed on each unit
- All units within the course must be achieved in order to gain Edinburgh College certification
- You will be tested on your theoretical and practical skills
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week
- Pass at National 3 Mathematics (or equivalent)
- Pass at National 3 English (or equivalent)
- Experience in I.C.T is essential for the successful completion of this course
Note for internal/progressing students: Progression to the next level is not a guarantee and will be evaluated for each student at the end of the current course taking attendance, performance and assessment attempts into consideration.
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- External or internal applicants may be required to sit a diagnostic test. This will be determined on a case-by-case basis
- Students who have previously been given an opportunity to complete the course or apply again will be required to complete a diagnostic test. Applications to repeat a course will only be considered if there are places available – this will be reviewed in August
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Applied Science Level 5 is available to study at Edinburgh College
- Other SCQF Level 5 courses in alternative subject areas
- Careers options within STEM industries and in STEM-related areas are increasing with employers often requesting STEM skills as an entry requirement. This means that a broad range of opportunities is opened to you by studying and progressing through STEM courses
- A career in the health or science industry
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.