Architectural Technology HNC
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 7
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
Architectural Technology HNC is a one year full time option or two year day release course (a system of allowing employees days off work to go on educational courses). This course is designed to teach you the essential skills necessary for the role of an architectural technician.
The Full time will mean attending Edinburgh Colleges Granton campus three days per week over one academic year.
The day release will mean attending Edinburgh College’s Granton campus one day per week over two academic years whilst employed within the construction industry.
There will also be a number of sessions that will be delivered remotely via Microsoft Teams.
COVID impacts on the current delivery and presently all course materials and delivery is on line.
You will be taught by staff with extensive experience in the built environment industry. The course will explore the technical side of design and give you an understanding of how buildings are born; from the early planning stages to its final construction. During this course, you will learn the full architectural process from sketching and computer-aided design to the use of specific industry materials and the latest in construction technologies.
What you will learn
- Architectural Design
- Sketching and Drawing
- Architectural Procedures
- Building Services in Large Buildings
- Construction Materials and Specifications
- Construction Technology: Substructure
- Construction Technology: Industrial/Commercial
- Superstructure Design of Building Structures
- Statutory Control of Buildings
- Architectural Technology
- Health and Safety in Construction
- Standard Forms of Construction Contract
How the course is assessed
- Continuous assessment throughout the course
- You will be tested on your theoretical and practical skills
Number of days per week
- 1 day per week
- One Higher Level C or above,
- A pass at National 5 Mathematics or equivalent
- If you are a mature applicant you will be considered on an individual basis
- If entering as a day release learner then you should be employed as a technician within a related discipline
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Further studies of architecture as an undergraduate student at various universities
- BSc (Hons) Architectural Technology year 2 entry at University of the Highlands and Islands
- HND Construction Management, year 2 entry at University of the Highlands and Islands
- Chartered architectural technologist
- Architectural or town planning technician
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Granton Campus||Full time||29/08/22||41 Weeks|
National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher Enrolment Events 2022
Our Enrolment Events are for those wishing to apply for an Advanced Higher, Higher or National 5 course.