Aural Skills for Grades 6 to 8
OL - Open Learning/Cross Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 5
Duration 6 weeks
Choose your study options
Course enquiry form
Taught by an experienced Edinburgh College music lecturer, this course will help you acquire the knowledge and skills needed to successfully complete the aural test components in Grades 6, 7 and 8 for ABRSM and Trinity. The course will be delivered online.
You will increase your aural skills and awareness, learning and consolidating all the necessary concepts for success in your next exam. The skills are also highly relevant to anyone considering studying music after school.
What you will learn
- Strategies for sight-singing, echoing phrases (playing or singing) and echoing rhythms
- How to identify time signatures, chords, cadences and modulations
- How to identify changes to pitch and rhythm
- How to identify and discuss features of different genres and eras of music
Please note that because the requirements of ABRSM and Trinity are different, the balance of time devoted to different skills will be led to some extent by candidate demand. However, several elements are common to both exam boards, and all the skills are worthwhile as you develop your general musicianship.
How the course is assessed
- No formal assessment, this course is preparation for the external exams.
Number of days per week
- Thursdays 26th January – 14th March (excluding 16th February), 6.30 – 7.45 pm
- Some experience and basic knowledge of music theory and music reading
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Sighthill Campus||Evening||26/01/23||6 Weeks|
|OL - Open Learning/Cross Campus||Open learning||26/01/23||6 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.