Award in Forest Kindergarten
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 7
Study mode Part time
Duration 7 - 14 days
Start date Multiple available
Choose your study options
Course enquiry form
The SQA-certificated Forest Kindergarten course has been put together to specifically meet the needs of practitioners who would like to set up a regular routine of off-site visits to a local wood or nearby greenspace for children in their setting. It is becoming increasingly recognised that there are many benefits to allowing children to play freely in local woodlands on a frequent and regular basis.
The course consists of 2 full days in college plus a short discussion session on Teams.
Additional dates will be offered according to demand. For further information or to register interest in future dates, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
What you will learn
Place. Locating a suitable woodland and taking practical steps including risk assessment and preparing the space.
People. Planning and engaging with children and adults including practical suggestions to engage and inform staff, children and parents
Pedagogy. Possible lines of development to extend children’s experiences of playing in the woods.
The course requires observation of an outdoor session with children which follows the principles of Forest Kindergarten. This can be done in your workplace or a setting of your choice. The college can support with arranging visits where required.
You are expected to test out your learning by leading part or all of an outdoor session in practice with children.
How the course is assessed
- The majority of the course requirements are assessed during the sessions by taking part in activities and discussions.
- In addition, you will develop and present information to show your understanding as part of a group at the end of session 2
- You will also complete a reflection where you discuss your learning from both the observation and trying out a Forest Kindergarten session in practice.
Number of days per week
- The course consists of 2 full days in college plus a short discussion session on Teams.
- Course dates (please state in your personal statement which option you prefer)
Thursdays 18th April and 25th April
Saturdays 20th and 27th April
Contact us for details of additional dates.
- The course is suitable for those currently working or volunteering in a childcare setting.
- In your personal statement please give information on your current job/volunteer role and state whether you currently have access to a setting which provides Forest Kindergarten or similar outdoor play opportunities.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 6.0 or equivalent
Progression and Articulation Routes
- HND Childhood Practice
- PDA Level 8 Childhood Practice and Additional Credits
There are a growing number of settings in Scotland which are following the Forest Kindergarten approach, including purely outdoor services. Staff with interest and skills in outdoor pedagogy are highly sought after.
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Granton Campus||Part time||22/09/23||2 Weeks|
|Granton Campus||Part time||20/04/24||1 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.