Barbering SVQ Level 2 (SCQF 5)
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 5
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
This one-year exciting course covers the skills required to enter and work in the Barbering industry.
As you work within our professional salon environment and Barbershop you will gain essential practical experience working on clients and mannequin heads working with high-end product companies such as Wella Sebman and American Crew during practical sessions on paying clients to enhance your employability prospects further.
Theory classes cover the knowledge required to complete all written work as part of your course. You will be required to have access to IT to enable you to complete parts of the course e.g. laptop, Pc, iPhone, Android phone, Tablet, Ipad.
Training at Edinburgh College will enhance your employability prospects as we have an exceptional standard of facilities and highly qualified lecturers. You will be provided with up-to-date training in new innovations and techniques with leading product manufacturers and barbers.
Edinburgh College is not only a recognised Centre of Excellence by Wella; but also houses the Wella Training Studio for Scotland. This amazing collaboration ensures students receive the most up-to-date training in new innovations and techniques within the industry.
This award is recognised within the industry as qualifying you as a barber. Upon completion, you can progress on to further study - Level 3 Barbering in order to enhance your barbering skills even further.
- There is an additional cost for course kits, uniforms and books which must be purchased prior to starting the course.
- Students will also be expected to bring in clients for practice and assessment purposes
If you are interested in being a model for our students or want to try out our star facilities before beginning your studying journey, simply book in for a treatment.
Hair Salons, Beauty Salons and Barbershop | Edinburgh CollegeWhat you will learn
- Advise and Consult with Clients
- Shampoo and Condition
- Cut and Clipper Hair
- Cut Facial Hair
- Dry, Style and Finish Hair
- Health and Safety
- All students at this level will take part in a work placement programme for two days per week (9-4 pm)
How the course is assessed
- All practical assessments are carried out on paying clients within our Barbershop.
- The theory aspects of the course are carried out by, completing open-book assignments and invigilated closed-book exams
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week (9-4 pm)
- 2 days work placement
- All applicants must be 16 years of age or older before the start date of the course and/or must hold
- a Level 1 Hairdressing qualification and Prep to level 2 Barbering course
- Have a minimum of 3 passes at SCQF Level 4 and have a work placement within the Barbering industry
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
Applicants will be given a date to attend campus for an open evening recruitment event which will involve:
- Group Information session with Q & As
- Face-to-face interview –where you will be asked relevant questions relating to the course and your goals and experience
- Written Dermatitis task – the relevant information will be provided to assist with this task. – this task will be scored.
In exceptional cases, the interview may be carried out via Microsoft Teams or a formal telephone interview, where you will be asked relevant questions relating to the course, your goals and your experience.
The formal interview has a scoring criterion based on - communication skills at the interview, along with, the written Dermatitis task.
Hair and Beauty Applicant Privacy Notice
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- VTCT Level 3 Barbering
- You will be qualified to work within the Barbering industry
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Granton Campus||Full time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.