Barbering SVQ Level 3 (SCQF 6)
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Full time
Duration 20 weeks
Course enquiry form
Barbering Level 3 is an innovative 18-week course designed to enhance your skill base gained at Level 2 Barbering /Preparation to Level 3 Barbering, or through the work you have already carried out in your barbering shop. Equipped with a more advanced skill set, this course will enable you to develop your passion for barbering.
During this fast-track course, you will gain essential practical experience working with clients in our professional Barbershop where you will be provided with up-to-date training in new technology and techniques using high-end professional products such as Wella Sebman and American Crew to enhance your employability prospects further.
Theory classes will cover the knowledge required to complete all written work and e-assessments. You will be required to have access to IT to enable you to complete parts of the course e.g. laptop, Pc, iPhone, Android phone, Tablet, Ipad.
Training at Edinburgh College will enhance your employability prospects as we have an exceptional standard of facilities and highly qualified lecturers. You will be provided with up-to-date training in new innovations and techniques with leading product manufacturers and barbers.
Edinburgh College is not only a recognised Centre of Excellence by Wella; but also houses the Wella Training Studio for Scotland. This amazing collaboration ensures students receive the most up-to-date training in new innovations and techniques within the industry.
This award is recognised within the industry as qualifying you as a Barber.
- There is an additional cost for course kits, uniforms and books which must be purchased prior to starting the course.
- Students will also be expected to bring in clients for practice and assessment purposes
If you are interested in being a model for our students or want to try out our star facilities before beginning your studying journey, simply book in for a treatment.
Hair Salons, Beauty Salons and Barbershop | Edinburgh CollegeWhat you will learn
- Consultation Services
- Cutting & Clipper Techniques
- Facial and Shaving services
- Planning Promotional Events
- Creative Barbering Styling (Avant Garde)
- Financial effectiveness of the business
- All students must have a work placement in place at the beginning of the course or employment in the Barbering industry - two days per week (9-4 pm) for the full 18 weeks
How the course is assessed
- All practical assessments are carried out on paying clients within our salons, working either independently with your own clients or working as a team member
- It is mandatory that you bring in models for practical assessments
- The theory aspects of the course are carried out under exam conditions completing open-book assignments
- Invigilated closed-book exams
Number of days per week
- 1 day per week (9:00-4:00 pm)
- 2 days work placement
- All applicants must hold a Level 2 Barbering or Preparation to Level 3 Barbering qualification or equivalent
- Must be currently working in the Barbering industry
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
Applicants will be given a date to attend campus for an open evening recruitment event which will involve:
- Group Information session with Q & As
- Face-to-face interview –where you will be asked relevant questions relating to the course and your goals and experience
- Skills Test to ensure you have the correct dexterity skills for the course (please see details below)
In exceptional cases, the interview may be carried out via Microsoft Teams or a formal telephone interview, where you will be asked relevant questions relating to the course, your goals and your experience.
The formal interview has a scoring criterion based on - communication skills at the interview, along with, the skills test and Dermatitis task
A skills/trade test will be required on a mannequin head or client at a commercially viable time.
The formal interview has a scoring criterion based on - communication skills at the interview, along with the skills test.
Hair and Beauty Applicant Privacy Notice
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Opportunity to gain employment within the Barbering industry at a technical and/or supervisory level
- Employment within the Barbering industry at a technical and/or supervisory level
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Granton Campus||Full time||28/08/23||20 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.