Course enquiry form
Basic Video Editing 18-week course
We watch our favourite movies and feel inspired to create our own cinematic works of art. But where do we start? This course is designed to introduce you to two vital areas of production: How to properly use a camera/camcorder and once you’ve gathered your fantastic images/footage... how to put them together.
In the part of the course which deals with basic camera/camcorder techniques, you’ll learn that your camera/camcorder is a lot more sophisticated than you think it is. We can all point and click but this course will allow you to explore the features of a modern camera/camcorder fully.
Do you have the right camera for the job? What are all those confusing menu items and buttons? You’ll learn about framing, focus, exposure, the importance of using a tripod and a whole lot more!
Once you’ve captured your great footage, it’s time to put it together. Editing is an art form and it forms the second part of the course. You’ll learn how to transform your raw footage into a finished film using Adobe Premiere Pro.
You’ll learn about file formats and file management. You’ll discover editing workflows and a little bit about creating significant effects which can enhance and transform your footage.
This is a great course for someone who wants to unleash their creative, filmmaking talents. Doing the basics well is one of the keys to great moviemaking.
What you will learn
- differing types of digital semi-pro and pro camcorders
- how to shoot a video by utilizing shot composition and filming technique
- how to set up and prepare the camcorder for work
- additional equipment and useful devices
- preparing and organizing your media for video editing
- video editing workflows
- basic video editing techniques
- tools needed for video editing
- about video formats, codecs, methods of converting video formats
How the course is assessed
- You will be set tasks as you work through the course, building towards a portfolio of work on which you will be assessed.
Number of days per week
- Thursday evenings 6 pm - 8.30 pm
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- There are no formal entry requirements
Progression and Articulation Routes
- You could progress onto one of our full time courses at level 5 or 6
- This course is suitable for beginner-level video creators wanting to do more and develop their career options in Digital Media for TV, Film and Video production.
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration||Cost|
|Sighthill Campus||Evening||25/01/24||20 Weeks||
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.