Beauty Aesthetics: Nails, Eyes & Tanning
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 5
Study mode Full time
Duration 20 weeks
Course enquiry form
This new beauty aesthetics course is a perfect introduction to the beauty industry. You will gain knowledge, understanding and essential practical skills in manicure, pedicure, basic nail art, single lash extensions, eyelash and brow tinting and shaping, spray tanning, and gel polish application.
We have designed this course due to industry demand for these services.
Edinburgh College is the first flagship Vocational Training Charitable Trust (VTCT) College in Scotland. Training at Edinburgh College will enhance your employability prospects as we have an exceptional standard of facilities and highly qualified lecturers. You will work in our salons and studios providing a realistic industry environment. This training will give you valuable practical experience and is a stepping stone towards a fulfilling career as a beauty therapist. You will undertake vital employment experience in our evening salons.
Some theory will be delivered online - you will be required to have access to IT to enable you to complete this part of the course e.g. laptop, Pc, iPhone, Android phone
There is an additional cost for course kit, uniforms and books which must be purchased prior to starting the course. A bursary may cover this.
We also ask all students to adhere to the COVID safety procedures for the department as follows:
- FFP2 masks must be worn at all times in the department (unfortunately due to this close contact service there are no exemptions)
If you are interested in being a model for our students or want to try out our star facilities before beginning your studying journey, simply book in for a treatment. Check out our price list.
What you will learn
NPA Eye Treatments
- Eye Enhancements (Lash & Brow Tinting, Brow tweezing using manual and automatic tweezers, Cluster & Strip lashes application) SCQF Level 6
- Contemporary Eye Treatments (Eyebrow Waxing, Individual Lash Extensions) SCQF Level 5
- Salon Skills - SCQF Level 5
NPA Manicure Pedicure
- Manicure (filing, shaping, buffing, cuticle work and nail polish application on the hands and fingernails) SCQF Level 5
- Pedicure (filing, shaping, exfoliation, cuticle work and nail polish application on the feet and toenails) SCQF Level 5
- Creative Nail Finishes (applying creative nail finishes to hands and feet) SCQF Level 4
- In addition to these 2 awards, you will be trained and receive certification in-
Spray Tanning Application and Gel Polish Application
- There is no work placement requirement for this course however you will gain vital employment experience in our employability salons. This is a mandatory requirement for the course
How the course is assessed
- You will be assessed on your occupational competence along with SQA assessments.
- All practical assessments are carried out on paying clients within our salons.
- A lot of the theoretical aspects of the course are carried out online.
Number of days per week
- 2 days per week (9-4 pm)
- All applicants must be 16 years of age or older before the start date of the course
- 3 national 4 qualifications
- Written Task required please refer to the section below” Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
All applicants will be asked to complete and submit a typed research task
Research task title – Current trends in Eyelash Enhancements
You are required to carry out research to then produce a short report on current trends in eyelash enhancements and present this as a project.
Your report must include:
- Front Cover – include your name, title and one image
- A description of 2 current eyelash enhancement treatments available in salons
- Include a bibliography section stating all your references
Word count must be 500 words minimum, 800 maximum
Thereafter successful applicants will be invited to a formal telephone/ Microsoft Teams interview –where your research task will be discussed along with other relevant questions relating to the course and your goals and experience
- The formal interview has scoring criteria based on - communication skills at the interview, along with the research task
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- NC Level 5 Beauty Therapy
- Edinburgh College short courses in Beauty skills
- Enter employment in the Beauty industry
- Work as part of a team within the Beauty industry
- Further your skills in Beauty Aesthetics with further CPD courses
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Granton Campus||Full time||24/01/22||20 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.