Beauty Therapy HND (2 Years)
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 8
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
If you’re looking to learn beauty therapy skills to a higher level this 2-year course is for you. You will be taught and assessed on basic beauty therapies and a more advanced skill set to prepare you for a career in Beauty Therapy which can lead to a more technical and supervisory level.
You will learn the therapeutic skills and knowledge you need to move into the highest level of the beauty industry by performing a variety of basic beauty therapy skills and more advanced beauty treatment plans including holistic therapies to meet industry requirements. You will also gain more hands-on experience through working in our employability salon with the high-end product company Elemis, thus enhancing your employability prospects even further.
We make sure you are fully prepared for the industry and setting up your own successful business with a wide range of salon and spa environments by assessing you in different methods from your work experience with clients' case studies to oral presentation skills.
- There is an additional cost for course kits, uniforms and books which must be purchased prior to starting the course.
- Some theory will be delivered online - you will be required to have access to IT to enable you to complete this part of the course e.g.laptop, Pc, iPhone, Android phone
If you are interested in being a model for our students or want to try out our star facilities before beginning your studying journey, simply book in for a treatment.
Hair Salons, Beauty Salons and Barbershop | Edinburgh College
What you will learn
- Beauty Therapy: Applied Anatomy and Physiology
- Body Massage Treatments
- Beauty Therapy: Face & Body Treatment Packages
- Beauty Therapy: Face & Body Electrotherapy
- Beauty Therapy: Depilation
- Beauty Therapy: Eyelash Enhancements
- Beauty Therapy: Hand and Foot Therapies
- Beauty Therapy: Facial Therapy Treatments
- Beauty Therapy: Product Knowledge
- Beauty Therapy: Professional Salon Skills
- Beauty Therapy: Graded Unit 1
- Beauty Therapy: Promotional and Selling Skills
- Advanced Facial and Body Therapy Techniques
- Lifestyle Advice for Clients
- Spa Therapies
- Advanced Depilation
- Beauty Therapy: Contemporary Aesthetic Treatment
- Light curing Gel Nail extensions
- Preparing a Formal Business Plan
- Eyebrow Artistry
- Eyelash Enhancements
- Beauty Therapy: Graded Unit 2
- Although you are not required to complete an external work placement in your first year of this course, you will be working on clients throughout your subjects and in our realistic Employability salons as part of the course.
- On commencement of year 2 of your studies, all students must be in part-time employment in the Beauty Industry.
Please note these are mandatory aspects of the course.
How the course is assessed
- All practical assessments are carried out on paying clients within our salons.
- The theoretical aspects of the course will be assessed by using a variation of closed-book assessments, essays, case studies and research
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week (9-4 pm) plus one evening (4:30-8 pm) - 1st Year
- 2 days per week (9-4 pm) plus one evening (4:30-8:00 pm) - 2nd Year
- All applicants must be 16 years of age or older before the start date of the course and must hold :
- Minimum of 2 passes at SCQF Level 6 preferably in English and Biology
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
Year 1 Applicants:
Please include a strong personal statement as part of your application which explains your reasons for wanting to be on the course. Once completed we will review your personal statement in conjunction with the rest of your application.
Thereafter successful applicants will be invited to a formal interview, this may be online or on campus to discuss their application and why they wish to study HND Beauty Therapy.
The formal interview has a scoring criterion based on presentation and communication skills at the interview.
Year 2 Applicants:
Candidates must have completed HND 1st year/ HNC in Beauty therapy. Internal candidates will be considered for HND 2nd year if they have completed their first year successfully, meet the attendance levels required as well as show the academic capability to progress to SCQF level 8. External candidates must provide an academic reference to support their completed application with a strong personal statement.
Hair and Beauty Applicant Privacy Notice
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Once you have successfully achieved your first year you may progress into the second year of this course.
- Thereafter you may continue your studies to degree level in complementary therapies or business studies or Year 2 BSc (Hons) Integrative Healthcare Conditions at the University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI).
You will be fully qualified to the highest level in the industry and therefore have employment opportunities of:
- Beauty therapist manager of a spa or beauty salon
- Start up your own business
- Trainer/Lecturer within the Beauty industry
- Entry to year 2 of Integrated Healthcare Degree (UHI)
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Granton Campus||Full time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.