Biology National 5
Campus Sighthill Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 5
Study mode Part time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
National 5 Biology is a part-time course designed to teach you a deep understanding of subjects such as Cell Biology, Multicellular Organisms and Life on Earth. Biology is the study of living organisms and aims to find solutions for many of the world’s problems. Biology plays a crucial role in our everyday existence and due to advances in technologies, this varied subject is now more exciting and relevant than ever.
Our Science department offers you the opportunity to study in purpose-built laboratories. These will support the development of your general and specialist practical skills whilst enhancing your theoretical understanding of science. This course will help you progress towards a career in the science and biology industry or further study at a university level.
National 5 courses, accredited by the SQA, are typically studied at high school and college. These qualifications act as pathways to further study including university entry. Edinburgh College offers a selection of subjects at National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher level on a part-time basis. You may choose to study up to two subjects. These courses are challenging and require the ability to study independently.
What you will learn
- Cell structure
- Transport across cell membranes
- DNA and the production of proteins
- Genetic engineering
- Producing new cells
- Control and communication
- Variation and inheritance
- Transport systems - plants and animals
- Absorption of materials
Life on Earth
- Distribution of organisms
- Energy in ecosystems
- Food production
- Evolution of species
How the course is assessed
- The course assessment determines the final grade and has two components. Both are marked externally by the SQA. The first component is a question paper of 2hr 30 minutes. The second component is an assignment completed within 8 hours, which includes 1hr 30minutes for a report stage.
Number of days per week
- Day class – 4 hours per week across 2 days (Monday and Wednesday)
- National 4 Biology (or equivalent)
- National 4 English is recommended but not mandatory
- Pass at National 4 (with added value unit), Intermediate 1 at A or B, or Standard Grade 3 or 4 in Maths
- Applicants should clearly identify the reason they chose to study National 5 Biology in their course application
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
- You will be invited to a short entry test if your qualifications are five years old or older.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- This course and its units will provide progression to other qualifications in Biology or related areas as well as further study, employment and/or training.
- You can progress to further study at a university level by using this course in conjunction to others.
Careers in the field of:
- Biological and biomedical sciences
- Various science industries
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Sighthill Campus||Part time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.