Body Art and Level 3 Make Up Aesthetics VTCT Award
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Full time
Duration 20 weeks
Course enquiry form
This exciting 18-week course will provide you with the knowledge, understanding and skills to work competently as an advanced beauty therapist specialising in makeup.
The course is suited to individuals who have previously completed their Level 2 Beauty Make-Up Consultancy qualification or Introduction to Level 3 Make-up.
Edinburgh College is the first flagship Vocational Training Charitable Trust (VTCT) College in Scotland. Training at Edinburgh College will enhance your employability prospects as we have an exceptional standard of facilities and highly qualified lecturers. You will work in our salons and studios providing a realistic industry environment. This training will give you valuable practical experience and is a stepping stone towards a fulfilling career as a beauty make-up specialist. You will undertake vital employment experience in our evening salons.
Throughout this qualification, you will advance the skills you gained at Level 2 or Intro to Level 3 qualification by designing and creating fashion and photographic hair and make-up with specialist skin camouflage services and airbrush make-up. You will also learn the application of eyelash extensions, lash lifting techniques, body art, spray tan, and contemporary eye treatments.
- There is an additional cost for course kits, uniforms and books which must be purchased prior to starting the course. A bursary may cover this
If you are interested in being a model for our students or want to try out our star facilities before beginning your studying journey, simply book in for a treatment.
What you will learn
- Body Art Design
- The Art of Dressing Hair for Competitions
- Provide Specialist Skin Camouflage Services
- Fantasy Make-Up and Hair
- Contemporary Make-up
- Contemporary Eye Treatments
- Airbrush Makeup Application (ABT Accredited)
- Lash lifting Aesthetics (ABT Accredited)
- Spray Tanning Application (ABT Accredited)
- There is no work placement requirement for this course however you will gain vital employment experience working in our salons and studios.
- Please note this is a mandatory requirement for the course
How the course is assessed
- You will be assessed on your occupational competence along with VTCT and SQA assessments and e-assessments.
- All practical assessments are carried out on paying clients within our salons.
- The theory aspects of the course are carried out online and on-campus
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week (9-4pm)
- All applicants must be 16 years of age or older before the start date of the course and must hold:
- A minimum of three National 5 OR a Level 2 Makeup or Beauty related courses or equivalent (external Makeup courses)
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
As part of your course application, we require you to complete and submit a mood board and a 500-word written brief in relation to your mood board as detailed below– this is mandatory for your application to be processed - please upload your task in the 'Additional Information Tab' section of your application
Research Task: Moodboard & 500 Word Written Brief
As part of your course, you will be learning new techniques to help you with enhancing your make-up skills as well as introducing you to new techniques such as lashes, airbase and camouflage make-up.
Ensure you cover each of the following in your research task
- Name and introduce yourself
- The benefits of the above new skills
- Bloggers or websites you researched that used the above skills
- Which of the above you are most excited about learning and why or maybe it is all of them
- Photos to be added to your research (a minimum of 3 images)
Once you have completed your research, please present your findings in a suitable format (Word) to showcase your research, then upload them into your application when advised to do so during the application process. Please ensure that your contact details are correct.
Thereafter successful applicants will be invited to a formal interview, this may be online or on-campus –where your mood board and brief will be discussed along with other relevant questions relating to the course and your goals and experience
The formal interview has scoring criteria based on - communication skills at the interview, along with the written brief and mood board
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- On successfully achieving the course you have the opportunity to apply to further your studies with one of our Beauty courses and/or progress to Make Up Artistry
- Enter employment in the beauty and makeup industry as a freelance Beauty Make-up specialist
- Work as part of a team within the Beauty makeup industry
- Further your skills as a Beauty make-up specialist and lash technician with personal CPD
- You will have also gained some knowledge of the financial effectiveness of the business and this will assist individuals looking to become self-employed
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Granton Campus||Full time||23/01/23||20 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.