Carpentry and Joinery NPA
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 5
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
This National Progression Award (NPA) in Carpentry and Joinery is an entry-level certificate designed to teach you the skills needed for a career in Carpentry and Joinery or possibly another construction-related trade
During this full-time course, you will study units based on SQA levels 4 and 5 . Practical units in Carpentry and Joinery will develop your hand skills and enhance your knowledge of the Construction Industry and develop your employability skills. This course works as a stepping stone towards applying for a CITB apprenticeship in Carpentry and Joinery or further study.
This course is taught at Edinburgh College Granton Campus using classroom sessions, online learning material and our Joinery workshops where you will gain essential, hands-on and real-life experience in the construction trade.
You will be encouraged to gain a work placement with an employer within the Carpentry and Joinery trade for the duration of this course. These opportunities will be supported by your College lecturers but are not mandatory. Practical work experience with an employer allows you to gain knowledge of the construction industry and will heighten your employability skills. This course is based at Edinburgh College’s Granton Campus.
What you will learn
- Appreciation of Access Platforms
- Health and Safety in the Construction Industry
- Technical Drawing
- Information Technology ICT
- 6 x Carpentry and Joinery Units
- Numeracy and Communication will be developed and certificated on this course
During the course, you will be expected to take part in a Construction Site Visit during the first semester as well as complete a Work Placement related to Carpentry and Joinery in semester 2.
How the course is assessed
- The course is unit-based and will be graded through SQA Assessment Strategy through continuous assessment of both practical skills and theory.
Number of days per week
- 3 days per week over 36 weeks
- Two passes at National 4 Level, this must include a pass in Mathematics and one in any other subject
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- This course provides the underpinning knowledge required to continue to a further education course within Built Environment or Engineering areas.
- Any related construction occupation focused on craft areas
- This course will give you the skills and support to seek an apprenticeship within the industry
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Granton Campus||Full time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.