Childhood Practice - Additional Credits
Campus Outreach - Multiple Sites
Qualification SCQF Level 7
Study mode Open learning
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
This course offers continuing professional development for those already working with children and young people in a childcare setting. These individual units offer current knowledge and information in the subject areas and are ideal for people who would like to update their existing qualifications or complete additional credits. You will have individual support from the lecturing staff allowing you to progress professionally and academically.
This is a flexible course offering a range of units that you can choose from. Each unit takes around 10 weeks to complete and there will be two intakes in an academic year - September and January. There will be a variety of teaching and learning methods including group work, class discussions, keeping a journal and reflecting on aspects of your work.
Please note the fee for this course is per unit.
What you will learn
The units cover a range of contemporary topics that underpin the work of the childcare professional:
- Health, Wellbeing and Safeguarding - 8 credits at SCQF 7
- Supporting Children with Additional Needs - 8 credits at SCQF 7
- Leadership starts with me - 8 credits at SCQF 7
- Supporting children and young people's behaviour - 8 credits at SCQF
- You will be currently working or volunteering on a regular basis in a childcare setting and have the appropriate PVG in place before commencing these units.
How the course is assessed
Each unit has unique assessment methods which can include
- report writing
- reflections on practice and presentations which allow you to demonstrate your knowledge understanding and work-based practice
Number of days per week
- The units are delivered on an open learning basis using our online learning system.
- Each unit should take approx. 10 weeks to complete.
- Applicants can do one unit at a time and two per year.
- Students can start in September and January.
- Students will receive online support and can contact their tutor by phone or email.
- Two Highers at C or above (one of which should be English) or pass in a relevant NC at SCQF Level 6 or SVQ Level 2 Children’s Care Learning and Development/Social Services Children and Young People.
- Or a qualification at or above SCQF Level 6 in a relevant subject that demonstrates ability in research, essay writing and reports, together with the experience of working with children.
- Applicants without the formal entry requirements but with a significant amount of experience in working with children will also be considered. Please detail this in your personal statement.
- As the units are delivered online, applicants should be confident in using IT to access the course.
- You must be currently working or volunteering in the industry.
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
All successful applicants will be sent information from the admission team on payment methods and the course information booklet along with an explanatory email about how to access the course materials and tutor contact information. At this stage you will be asked to choose the unit you would like to study.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 6.0
Progression and Articulation Routes
- PDA Childhood Practice Level 9 taught at Edinburgh College
- PDA Childhood Practice at Level 8 taught at Edinburgh College
- BA Childhood Practice
- These units are ideal for people building credits towards study at these levels
- Leadership roles in childcare settings
- Senior practitioners in nurseries
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Outreach - Multiple Sites||Open learning||30/08/22||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.