CISCO Network Essentials (Fully Funded Course)
Campus OL - Open Learning/Cross Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Open learning
Duration 20 weeks
Course enquiry form
This course is ideal for anyone wanting to learn the basics of computer networking, device connectivity and security. It's an ideal starting point for those wanting to change careers in the tech industry, Cyber security, or learn about IoT, as well as those needing to broaden their skills at work and hobbyists.
This course is beginner level and makes use of practical activities to break up the reading and knowledge aspects. The language in this course is aimed at beginners, we are offering the flexibility for you to learn online, you can earn a CISCO certificate, but also a college certificate if you complete the practical elements of the course.
If you wish to receive a verified Edinburgh College certificate as evidence of your learning there is a small £40 administration and processing fee, you can download and print your Cisco Certificate for free.
It's a perfect stepping stone into areas of Cyber Security and world-renowned qualifications such as CCNA.
The aim of this course is to introduce you to networking, network services, network troubleshooting and device configuration of network components such as wireless access points, CISCO routers and CISCO switches
This is a distance learning course designed to fit around your other commitments, there is a study planner to help you keep track of weekly coursework and activities.
What you will learn
On completion of the course, you will have a knowledge and understanding of the following:
- Explain how end-user devices and local networks interact with the global internet
- Explain the requirements for network connectivity
- Build a small network using an integrated network router
- Explain the importance of IP addressing
- Explain how the protocols of the TCP/IP suite enable network communication
- Configure an integrated wireless router and wireless clients to connect securely to the internet
- Configure basic network security
- Build a simple computer network using CISCO devices
- Troubleshoot common network issues found in the home and small business network
- You will be assessed on your knowledge and skills at the end of each chapter on an ongoing basis.
How the course is assessed
- Distance learning with tutor support
Number of days per week
- We estimate you will need to dedicate 5 hours per week to study.
- You should have a basic understanding of how computers work and browsing the internet
- Those having studied CISCO IT Essentials or COMPTIA A+ curriculum would have the best starting point for this course
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5 - with reading at 5.5
|OL - Open Learning/Cross Campus
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.