Civil Engineering HNC
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 7
Duration 40 - 41 weeks
Choose your study options
Course enquiry form
Civil Engineering HNC is a one year full time option or two year day release course (a system of allowing employees days off work to go on educational courses). This course is designed to teach you the essential skills necessary for the role of an Civil Engineer.
The Full time will mean attending Edinburgh Colleges Granton campus three days per week over one academic year.
The day release will mean attending Edinburgh College’s Granton campus one day per week over two academic years whilst employed within the construction industry.
There will also be a number of sessions that will be delivered remotely via Microsoft Teams.
COVID impacts on the current delivery and presently all course materials and delivery is on line.
This course will teach you the skills needed for a technical role in civil engineering. This course will give you the knowledge and ambition to design and build the bridges, roads, railways and tunnels of tomorrow. You will acquire knowledge of the latest construction practices by covering a diverse selection of industry skills such as structural analysis, design and geotechnical engineering. This course will encourage career progression and enhance your career prospects.
What you will learn
- Contract and Project Management
- Fluid Mechanics
- Material and Testing
- Construction Site Surveying
- Construction Technology: Substructure
- Mathematics for Construction
- Structural Mechanics
- HNC Civil Engineering Graded Unit 1
- Computer-Aided Design (CAD)
How the course is assessed
- You will be continually assessed throughout the course
- You will be tested on your theoretical and practical skills
Number of days per week
- One day per week day release
- Three days Full time
- One pass at Higher Level C or above in Mathematics or Physics
- If you are a mature applicant you will be considered on an individual basis
- A pass at National 5 Mathematics or equivalent
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Progress onto a university degree course
- BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering at University of the Highlands and Islands
- Heriot Watt University:
- BEng (Hons) / MEng Civil Engineering
- BEng (Hons) / MEng Structural Engineering
(subject to University academic conditions)
- Civil engineering technician
- This course can lead to a promotion or employment as a supervisor or in management
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Granton Campus||Full time||30/08/21||41 Weeks|
|Granton Campus||Part time||30/08/21||40 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.