Course enquiry form
Civil Engineering HNC can either be studied as a one-year full time or two-year day release course (a system allowing employees days off work to go on educational courses). This course is designed to teach you the essential skills necessary for the role of a Civil Engineer.
The Full time will mean attending Edinburgh College's Midlothian campus 2.5 days per week over one academic year.
The day release will mean attending Edinburgh College’s Midlothian campus one day per week over two academic years whilst continuing to be employed within the construction industry.
There may also be a number of sessions that will be delivered remotely via Microsoft Teams.
This course will teach you the skills needed for a technical role in civil engineering. This course will give you the knowledge and ambition to design and build the bridges, roads, railways and tunnels of tomorrow. You will acquire knowledge of the latest construction practices by covering a diverse selection of industry skills such as structural analysis, design and geotechnical engineering. This course will further encourage career progression and enhance your career prospects.
What you will learn
- Contract and Project Management
- Fluid Mechanics
- Material and Testing
- Construction Site Surveying
- Construction Technology: Substructure
- Mathematics for Construction
- Structural Mechanics
- HNC Civil Engineering Graded Unit 1
- Computer-Aided Design (CAD)
How the course is assessed
- You will be continually assessed throughout the course
- You will be tested on both your theoretical and practical skills
Number of days per week
- One day per week day release
- 2.5 days Full time
- One pass at Higher Level C or above in Mathematics or Physics
- If you are a mature applicant you will be considered on an individual basis
- Pass at National 5 Mathematics or equivalent
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Progress onto a university degree course
- BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering at University of the Highlands and Islands
- Civil engineering technician.
- This course can lead to a promotion or employment in a supervisor or management role.
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration||Cost|
|Midlothian Campus||Full time||29/08/22||41 Weeks||
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.