Computer Games Development HND
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 8
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
Computer Games Development HND is an innovative course designed to give you an insight into various technologies and techniques used in the video games industry. Explore the full process of video game development; from planning and design, right through to project management. You will cover a wide range of computer development techniques including 2D and 3D Animation, Programming and Games Design Theory.
This is a hands-on and practical course where you will work on real gaming projects and be given the creative freedom to develop computer games of your own. This will allow you to build a portfolio of work which you will need when applying for employment in the industry or further study. This course will allow progression into the 2nd or 3rd year of university study in games development, Games Design and multimedia courses at several universities.
What you will learn
- Game Technology
- Structured Programming for Games
- Working in a Project Team
- Project Management for IT
- 2D Animation
- 3D Level Editing
- Interface Design
- Creating Graphics
- 3D Modelling and Animation
- Games Development: Object-Oriented Programming
- Game Customisation and Scripting
- Software Development: Developing for the World Wide Web
- Software Development: Abstract Data Structures
How the course is assessed
- The course is mainly assessed on practical skills
- There will be some written assignments and tests
- The Graded Unit for both years will be a practical game-based project
Number of days per week
- Approximately 16 hours per week, which we try to timetable into as few days as possible, e.g 3 days. However, the course is demanding and assignments and projects will be set for you to complete in your own time and so it is recommended that you can dedicate 5 days per week to this course.
- For school leavers: Three Highers at C pass, one must be in Mathematics and one other numerate subject such as Computing or Physics
- For college learners: SCQF Level 6 course pass and a good level of Mathematics which can be tested at an interview
- For everyone else: All enquiries are welcome regardless of qualifications. Edinburgh College computing staff can assess where you can start or progress in your computing career and find the right course for you.
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
This course includes maths at SCQF level 7
- You may be asked to perform a maths screening exercise to assess your skill level.
- You will be advised of the maths question types in advance and have several days to prepare. If you need longer to prepare or extra time during the screening please request it in advance.
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 6.0 and Ideally no component below 5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Access to the second or third year of various university degrees courses such as at Edinburgh Napier University, Glasgow Caledonian University and Abertay University
- BSc (Hons) Computing, year 3 entry at the University of Highlands and Islands
- Employment in the computer games industry
- Games developer
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Granton Campus||Full time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.