Computing with ESOL
Campus Milton Road Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 5
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
This course is ideal for you if you are interested in a career in the field of Computing and if your first language is not English. The course will allow you to improve your English language level and your understanding of a range of areas in computing.
This course covers Website Design and development, Software Development, Computer Hardware and Systems as well as Networking and programming mobile devices. The course also incorporates Microsoft packages such as Word and Excel which are ideal skills for business and work.
You will also complete the National 5 ESOL award. After this course, you can progress to level 6 computing courses or potentially HND level study. The range of skills you will learn will prepare you perfectly for all areas of employment that make use of digital skills.
What you will learn
- Web development
- Computer Netowrking
- Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Powerpoint, Microsoft Access Databases
- Data Science
- Computer hardware
- Digital Media
How the course is assessed
- Some multiple choice tests
Number of days per week
- 3 Days
- Your English level needs to be assessed prior to starting
- You will need to attend a screening activity to assess your computing knowledge
- 4 National 4 C grade passes or equivalent is the minimum
- Adults with relevant experience are welcomed
- Progression from successful completion of a relevant Edinburgh College course
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
At the interview, you will be asked to take part in a computing Skills and Experience Screening exercise on a computer As well as an English level screening. You should also bring along your certificates. Course information will be provided by a lecturer on the course.
English Proficiency RequirementsEquivalent to National 4 ESOL
Progression and Articulation Routes
- NPA Cybersecurity, Networking and Forensics
- NPA Software Development and Web
- NPA Software Development and Digital Design
- Or an HND course of your choice in Computing if your prior qualifications are applicable
- The skills offered in this course are applicable to any job role that requires basic/intermediate digital skills
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Milton Road Campus||Full time||29/08/22||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.