Construction Building Services Engineering NC Level 6
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Part time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
NC Building Services can be taken as a two-year day release (a system allowing employees days off work to go on educational courses)
The day release will mean attending Edinburgh College’s Granton campus one day per week over two academic years whilst employed within the construction industry.
There will also be a number of sessions that will be delivered remotely via Microsoft Teams.
COVID impacts on the current delivery and presently all course materials and delivery is online.
Due to a history of pollution caused by "progress" the world now needs engineers to learn from the past and become part of the new technologies solution. Cutting down the use of energy that is contributing to climate change. You will become skilled in energy conservation and the use of renewable energy devices such as solar panels, heat pumps, wind and tidal schemes.
As building services engineers you are required to produce systems and layouts for all the required technologies overseeing and installing the pipes, wires and equipment in buildings while creating an energy-efficient design.
You will be taught by staff with extensive experience in the Building Services Industry and gain a broad understanding of technical topics needed to work as a building services engineer. You will develop skills in planning, evaluation, define and problem solve, research and analysis and work co-operatively. All the skills and knowledge you acquire are transferable and will benefit you in either further studies or employment.
What you will learn
This course instructs you in the design skills and knowledge associated with
- air conditioning
- fan engineering
- gas systems
- fuels both conventional and renewable
- energy conservation
- electrical and electronic technology.
Practical skills learned will include plant and equipment selection, pipe sizing, duct sizing, computer-aided drawing via AutoCAD, etc.
How the course is assessed
- Throughout the year by short-answer questionnaires, exams, and projects.
Number of days per week
- For Day release provision this will be one day per week.
- Normally Thursday (this can change due to other demands)
For day release option
- You will be a qualified Electrician, Heating and Ventilation Engineer or Plumbing Engineer.
- Currently working in an Engineering discipline that will require the skills associated with this course.
- You should hold a National 5 Maths qualification minimum or equivalent.
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Successful completion of this course should gain you first year entry at University.
- Building Services Engineer
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Granton Campus||Part time||30/08/21||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.