Campus Milton Road Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 6
Study mode Evening
Duration 7 weeks
Course enquiry form
In this songwriting course, you’ll learn how contemporary songs are put together and what makes them successful. If you want to write songs and make a living from your music, then it's essential that you have at least a basic understanding of music theory, composition, lyric-writing and arrangement techniques. In addition to the craft of songwriting, you will explore some basic commercial aspects such as copyright, how to self-release and distribute your music and how to approach labels and publishers. Practical exercises form an integral part of this course and students are expected to have a basic grasp of an instrument/voice or have some experience in music production software such as Logic Pro or Ableton Live.
What you will learn
Working between musical and studio settings, you will learn:
- Songs and songwriters (analysis and deconstruction)
- Lyric writing (from generating ideas to hooks and rhyme)
- Hooks and riffs
- Chord progressions, Top-line and Melody
- Basic arranging including structure and instrumentation
- Music theory for songwriting and production
- Finishing songs
- Fundamental commercial and professional practices and how to grow your career
- No formal entrance requirements
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Milton Road Campus||Evening||24/10/23||7 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.