Costume for Stage and Screen HND
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 8
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
Costume for Stage and Screen HND provides a 2-year intensive industry training opportunity in Performing Arts Studio Scotland (PASS) bespoke workshops. Discover your creative potential as you explore costume design and learn industry design techniques using sewing machines, paint techniques, wig preparation skills and embroidery. This course will ensure you are fully prepared and qualified to progress onto further study at a university level and is a direct route to the third year of BA Hons Costume and Performance Design course at Bournemouth University.
During this course, you will complete a practical work placement which will be made available through PASS industry connections. Immerse yourself in the art of costume design as you gain essential experience in professional environments and make crucial connections with theatre professionals. You will learn how to take a simple idea and expand and explore it until becomes a final product; bringing it to life. You may find yourself working alongside an ex-PASS student as most move on to professional employment within the industry upon completion. You will experience how the wardrobe department impacts theatre productions and learn professional skills that are highly sought after in the industry.
For More Information please follow us on:
What you will learn
- Practical Skills in Pattern Cutting and Costume Construction
- Decorative Techniques Used to Embellish Costume
- Introduction to the Art of Corsetry
- Millinery/Headwear Sculptural Costume Elements
- Professional Practice Design
- History of Costume
- Students are placed with professional organisations for work experience at least once during the course and will also be involved in practical assignments for performance
How the course is assessed
- Practical demonstration
- Research skills
Number of days per week
3/4 days per week with additional self directed study in teh workshops and at home expected.
- BTEC National Diploma in Production Arts
- National Diplomas in Fashion Clothing and Textiles
- Two Highers or NAT 5's
- SGA/NC Foundation Course in Art and Design
- Mature students are welcome to apply and will be granted an interview to discuss entry requirements, APL offered.
Information on Tests / Auditions / Interview Requirements
To apply for our HND programme please complete the online application form and include the following information, to be considered for an interview.
Stage 1: Application and E-Portfolio Link
- Complete all information asked for in your application including a personal statement and an up-to-date list of your most recent qualifications with evidence.
- Please upload the following information in an E-Portfolio within your application form via a transfer now link.
- evidence of your sewing skills. (This could be a garment, an item of costume made for an amateur production or a compilation of sewing techniques)
- portfolio of drawings (specifically figure drawings and life studies)
Interviews may be required, information will be sent out directly to each vcandidate.
Privacy Notice for Performing Arts and Photography Selection
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 5.5
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Courses in Costume Design and Production at various universities
- BA Hons Costume and Performance Design course at Bournemouth University (articulated route)
Our past students work all over Scotland and the UK in wardrobe departments for both film and theatre. The roles covered vary depending on the establishments, but some examples are;
- Costume supervisors
- Costume cutters
- Wardrobe assistants
- Maintenance workers
- Costume hire assistants
Some of our alumni work on cruise ships, (looking after costumes for a wide range of entertainments), and others have specialised in costume production. Not all students follow a theatrical path and the course provides transitional skills which will allow you to venture into;
- Bridal wear
- Haute couture
- Sculptural costume
- Wigs and cosplay
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Granton Campus||Full time||28/08/23||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.