Creative Industries: Media and Communication HNC
Campus Granton Campus
Qualification SCQF Level 7
Study mode Full time
Duration 41 weeks
Course enquiry form
The HNC Creative Industries: Media and Communication can be used as an access route to degree-level study and is an acceptable entry qualification to a wide range of degree courses. Many of our previous students have found employment directly in the fields of journalism, the media, advertising, public relations, marketing and related industries.
The ability to communicate with a range of people and knowledge and understanding of how to handle the media of communication are crucial for a wide variety of careers. This course provides you with the necessary skills you will need in this area of employment.
The aim of the course is to consolidate vocational skills by studying a range of subjects including Writing for the Media, The Advertising Industry, Media Analysis, Creative Writing for Vocational Purposes and Interviewing Skills. This will allow you to decide where your strengths and perhaps your future career lie.
What you will learn
- Writing for the Media
- The Advertising Industry
- Creative Writing for Vocational Purposes
- Interviewing Skills
- Research Skills
- Meeting Skills
- Law and the Media
- Media Analysis: Advertisements
- The Media: Feature and Trends
- Script Writing for radio
- Film Theory
- Correcting Creative Texts
- Narrative and Genre in Comics and Animation
How the course is assessed
- You will be assessed through essays, reports, presentations and projects
Number of days per week
- 2/3 days per week
- Two Highers in relevant subjects such as English, Modern Studies, Politics, Media, Psychology at B grade or above
- Mature applicants with no formal qualifications who have appropriate experience and well-developed writing skills may be considered
English Proficiency RequirementsIELTS 6
Progression and Articulation Routes
- Progression to media courses at university level
- Media journalism
- Public relations
|Campus||Study mode||Start date||Duration|
|Granton Campus||Full time||29/08/22||41 Weeks|
Funding & Fees
When you are thinking about starting college, one of the most important things to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.
If you are thinking about applying for a course at Edinburgh College we have provided a number of resources to guide you smoothly through this process.